Single Family Home Grounding and Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electriman

I was wondering at service panel for a single family home, besides panel, what else do I need to tie it to ground? I am thinking that I need to tie the foundation rebar, water pipe. Am I missing anything else?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I was wondering at service panel for a single family home, besides panel, what else do I need to tie it to ground? I am thinking that I need to tie the foundation rebar, water pipe. Am I missing anything else?

Is this your personal home or a project you are working on for work?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Let's start with a little terminology, ground is too generic. I think that we know what you mean but the proper term is grounding electrode(s). You need to connect all of the present electrodes to the service. If there is only a water pipe electrode then that needs to be supplemented by one additional electrode. So using the two electrodes in your question yes you would need to connect to the water pipe electrode and supplement that with one other electrode which would be the CEE in the footing.

Electriman

Let's start with a little terminology, ground is too generic. I think that we know what you mean but the proper term is grounding electrode(s). You need to connect all of the present electrodes to the service. If there is only a water pipe electrode then that needs to be supplemented by one additional electrode. So using the two electrodes in your question yes you would need to connect to the water pipe electrode and supplement that with one other electrode which would be the CEE in the footing.

Thanks. I have concrete rebar, water pipe. The structure is wooden.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How does one know if the rebar qualifies as a UFER? Obviously there are length and earth contact requirements ... did the OP give us enough to accurately answer his question?

I don't know if they qualify or not so that's why I said if they qualify as an electrode. Same for the water pipe, it could be a metal stub through the foundation and then plastic from there. Typically the CEE is inspected before the footing is poured to see if it's complaint.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How does one know if the rebar qualifies as a UFER? Obviously there are length and earth contact requirements ... did the OP give us enough to accurately answer his question?

One has to assume the footing hasn't been poured. If that is the case then it is easy to tell if the rebar is an electrode.

Electriman

One has to assume the footing hasn't been poured. If that is the case then it is easy to tell if the rebar is an electrode.

The foundation drawing shows the rebar is only 18' long and the concrete thickness is more than 2". Do I need to bond it? Do I need to bond gas pipe separately or I can assume it is bonded at the water heater?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The foundation drawing shows the rebar is only 18' long and the concrete thickness is more than 2". Do I need to bond it? Do I need to bond gas pipe separately or I can assume it is bonded at the water heater?

If the rebar is only 18' in length (seems odd) then you do not need to use a CEE. What type of gas pipe? Black pipe requires no external bonding.

Status
Not open for further replies.