Box fill question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks

Thanks

Am I reading it right that I would have to size the wire according to what raceway it would fill going into box, then times it by 8 or six times the raceway to get minimum box. Or am I totally confused.

Side question:
The conductors that are between the utility and service point of connection? Would that be service entrance conductors? What's the difference in service entrance and service lateral. Thanks

Adamjamma

Jumper, am I right that this section sizes boxes based upon not the wire size but the raceway size, and then also refers to a bending diameter for any wires? But everything is based upon the raceways or conduits?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Jumper, am I right that this section sizes boxes based upon not the wire size but the raceway size, and then also refers to a bending diameter ...
I apologize for the nitpicking, but it's bending radius, not diameter. Diameter is twice the radius.

jumper

Am I reading it right that I would have to size the wire according to what raceway it would fill going into box, then times it by 8 or six times the raceway to get minimum box. Or am I totally confused.

Side question:
The conductors that are between the utility and service point of connection? Would that be service entrance conductors? What's the difference in service entrance and service lateral. Thanks

Yes, that is the idea. If you using cables, you use the cable connector size as if was conduit size.

Side answer:
Look at the definitions in 100. Lateral is usually slang for a underground service.

Status
Not open for further replies.