Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rolling offsets

rolling offsets

is there a website you guys could give for formulas on figuring rolling offsets , now i am not talking about 3/4 pipe but doing this on 4 inch emt. making mistakes can be costly so I want to be able to figure it out and i cant measure it daignoly I have rise and how much over measurements. I cant seem to find a conduit bending section on this website there should be.

Just mark it out on the floor and wall with a pencil and measure.

Figure out what you need on a piece of 1/2" and transfer your results to your 4"
    Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose. But still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by masterinbama View Post
    Figure out what you need on a piece of 1/2" and transfer your results to your 4"
    +1 ! By far the easiest, least costly and most accurate method, especially for 4".

You could measure down an over then find the hypotenuse, but any mistakes in that method will cause a bad offset and require a calculator that does Sq. root. A piece of 1/2 emt can be tweaked to fit then either measure the offset or match it.

There is a way to do it with an old style wooden ruler but it can't be explained, it has to be visually demonstrated.
    Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose. But still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterinbama View Post
    There is a way to do it with an old style wooden ruler but it can't be explained, it has to be visually demonstrated.
    Let us know when you post the video. I was never trained in the method, but managed in a crude fashion.

Folding ruler, test light kit with seriesed lamps, and for the geek I was, a slide rule. I gave them up in reverse order.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by buddhakii View Post
    Just mark it out on the floor and wall with a pencil and measure.
    That's the way I do it.

I think the formula for rolling offsets is A sq + B sq = C sq rt

For instance 8" offset but need to roll 3" to left or right

8X8= 64 3X3=9
    64+9 = 73
    73 sq rt =8.544"

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I think the formula for rolling offsets is A sq + B sq = C sq rt

For instance 8" offset but need to roll 3" to left or right

8X8= 64 3X3=9
    64+9 = 73
    73 sq rt =8.544"
    I have never calculated a rolling offset, but my spidey sense confirms your formula. Simple enough, since the rise (8") and the side slip (3") are two sides of a traingle with a right angle between and the desired length is the hypotenuse, then Pythagorean's theorum is correct.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

phone apps

search online for iphone apps...Master Bender $3.99 willl do rolling offsets
    android electrical wiring pro $2.99
    etc