13.5 kW free standing range....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
Went on a Service call today about a new range tripping breaker. I found a new 13.5 kW, 240V free standing range on a 50A 2pole FPE breaker. When ovens and burners were all on I had a max draw of 44.4A. Believe it or not but the 50A FPE was tripping. The wire appeared to be a #6 CU feeding the unit.

Does the draw on this unit appear to be correct, and why would the 50 be tripping at 44.4A?

Occupation
Inspector
The current draw will vary as the elements cycle, so 44.4A is reasonable.

I would guess you may have a bad breaker. How long does it hold before tripping at 40 some odd amps?

Trips within 30 sec. of a steady 44.4 draw. The readings fluctuate from 27.8 to 39 and then at the highest, 44.4. Total time about 3-5 min.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Thinking out loud here........It's very common to install a 40A circuit to feed a range up to 12KW and I've never had an issue with a tripping breaker in that scenario where the nameplate rating would suggest a 50A load @ 12KW.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So, how would you troubleshoot the Range? Have not had a chance to change the breaker.

Well if the breaker trips with a load much less than it's rating I would assume that either the breaker is bad or that it's tripping because of a short circuit or ground fault condition. The simplest test would be to install a new breaker and see what happens. If it still trips then the chances are very good that the problem is in the appliance and not the circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
To go further, if it is in the range, I don't mess with it but if I did I would turn each element on at a time and wait and see which one is the culprit. The problem is that it may only happen when the element heats up for awhile. Since you said 30 seconds then I would turn each one on individually and wait 30 seconds before turning on the next one.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
FPE Breaker

FPE Breaker

I would not put any faith in a FPE breaker tripping correctly or even tripping at all! About on par with Zinsco.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Well if the breaker trips with a load much less than it's rating I would assume that either the breaker is bad or that it's tripping because of a short circuit or ground fault condition. The simplest test would be to install a new breaker and see what happens. If it still trips then the chances are very good that the problem is in the appliance and not the circuit.

Ditto. That's usually the cheapest and fastest way to go.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I would not put any faith in a FPE breaker tripping correctly or even tripping at all! About on par with Zinsco.

There was only a short period in manufacturing where the FPE breakers were a failure. I believe , mostly in the early 80's. Even then I believe the DP 30 breaker and perhaps a few others were the culprit but that issue was not tripping. This one is tripping so I am not sure that is the issue.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
There was only a short period in manufacturing where the FPE breakers were a failure. I believe , mostly in the early 80's. Even then I believe the DP 30 breaker and perhaps a few others were the culprit but that issue was not tripping. This one is tripping so I am not sure that is the issue.

Isn't it UBI that makes the FPE-like breaker now. I'm sure they are up-to-date as far as UL et al is concerned.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Isn't it UBI that makes the FPE-like breaker now. I'm sure they are up-to-date as far as UL et al is concerned.

I think that is correct. Also I believe Federal is still in existence in Canada under Federal Pioneer and they are still used.

Occupation
Inspector
Thanks to all for your input.

I have not yet been able to get back to change the breaker. The HO is more than likely going to have me either do a Panel Change or Service Change. I have a stash of used FPE breakers, I really don't want to purchase a new 50A 2pole in the event I do indeed install a new panel.

norcal

UBI products are made in China, I would rather not trust a ChiCom safety device, just as food sourced from there is of dubious safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.