Bonding/Grounding of 2 services on same building

Status
Not open for further replies.

honestguy

Say you have 2 200 amp services on same building for differnt occupants. would you size grounding electrode conductor as the combined circular mils of both services together? or tweat then independently? Just curious how you would go about this

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I assume you have one service with 2 meters and 2 - 200 amp panels. In this case you can size the gec for each pane and run separate gec's from each panel or you can size to the combined cir mil and run the gec from the meter or anywhere before the disconnects.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
From what you say, there are two service disconnects, correct ?
Is each one fed by a separate service drop (or underground lateral) at different locations or is there one drop (lateral) feeding both disconnects ?
Can you desrcibe in a bit more detail ?

(sorry, Dennsi..typed on top of you)

Last edited:

jwelectric

If there are two separate townhouses that carry two deeds that show the property line being the wall that separates the two townhouses.
There are two service laterals that supply two meters that are a couple feet apart.

How many grounding electrodes (rods) are required for these two meters? Would it be permissible to cross property lines with the grounding electrode conductor for the installation of just two rods or would each property require two rods each?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If there are two separate townhouses that carry two deeds that show the property line being the wall that separates the two townhouses.
There are two service laterals that supply two meters that are a couple feet apart.

How many grounding electrodes (rods) are required for these two meters? Would it be permissible to cross property lines with the grounding electrode conductor for the installation of just two rods or would each property require two rods each?

I would think if they are separate townhouses as you described then each would be considered a separate structure. Separate structures would need their own grounding electrodes.

Good question---Enlighten us please....

jwelectric

I would think if they are separate townhouses as you described then each would be considered a separate structure. Separate structures would need their own grounding electrodes.

Good question---Enlighten us please....

You got it. What I have seen are the two electrode systems less than four feet apart. I brought it up at a meeting in which as you pointed out two systems are required but must meet the spacing requirements .

Status
Not open for further replies.