Two panels in one enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

karn

Occupation
Electrician
Just curious if there is a code violation here? This is an 84 circuit panel but its labeled LA1/LA2, circuits 1-42 are LA1 and circuits 43-84 are LA2 1-42,

25z6non.jpg

jumper

First, it is not two panelboards. It is one.

Second, I am not sure that this a violation of 408.4. I am inclined to say no if the panel schedule clearly states what the load/area the breaker is for.

It is unorthodox, but possibly legal. Maybe AHJ call.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If you tried to include a photo, I cannot see it. So I am not confident that I understand your description. Do you, for example, have two 42-circuit panels side-by-side with a common enclosure door? If so, how does the one furthest from the power source get its power (i.e., feed-through lugs, double lugs, sub-feed breaker, etc.)? Or do you have a panel that is tall enough to have all 84 breakers in a pair of vertical lines?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is a photo in the OP with an 84 circuit panelboard (42 vertical CB's on each side). The CB's are numbered 1-42 for the first 42 CB's and then 1-42 for the second set of CB's.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why not just take the numbers to 84? They make them.

I am just curious, seems less complicated.

Sometimes the engineer will number them that way on the drawing so instead of re-writing the entire drawing you just repeat the numbers. In this case it's for LA-1 and LA-2, just like two separate panels. Or maybe it was originally two panels and someone decided to use one instead.

Two panels same feeder

Two panels same feeder

The 46-90 number book would have broke the job!!!������

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What if you have two 3phase panels...first one has the main breaker, second is fed from first panel via feed thru lugs. (84 ckt panel) Both panels have two 2” nipples installed. Double
locknut, bushings , bond wire etc...can you pass thru circuits from one box to another? Or is it considered using the panel as a raceway?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What if you have two 3phase panels...first one has the main breaker, second is fed from first panel via feed thru lugs. (84 ckt panel) Both panels have two 2” nipples installed. Double
locknut, bushings , bond wire etc...can you pass thru circuits from one box to another? Or is it considered using the panel as a raceway?

Panels are permitted to be used as a raceway. {312.8}

Status
Not open for further replies.