wire connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Commercial building: are the wire connector needed to be inside the junction box with cover
or they can be exposed?

anbm

All splicing of power conductors require an enclosure/box. Why would you think one would not be needed?

To splice/join #12 wires, I saw contractor use splice / wire plastic connector, at some locations, they put these connectors
inside a j-box, ... and some location, they don't.

Adamjamma

Jumper, am not at home with my laptop, but, splices should be in a box or a raceway or a outlet box, right? Not just hanging in open, unless the splice is one of those totally sealed splices like we are allowed underground, right?

jumper

Jumper, am not at home with my laptop, but, splices should be in a box or a raceway or a outlet box, right? Not just hanging in open, unless the splice is one of those totally sealed splices like we are allowed underground, right?

Yes except for that part about underground. Underground splices with proper connector do not need a box and can be buried.

The same connector used not underground would need to be in a box and accessible.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Commercial building: are the wire connector needed to be inside the junction box with cover
or they can be exposed?

Going to play devil's advocate here but could these be LV circuits? OP makes no mention of what kind of wire or anything regarding what he is talking about.

-Hal

MAC702

This basically includes the "enclosure:"
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electronics-Romex-Splice-Kit-2-Wire-1-Clam-A22899-000/202204326

tyco-electronics-wire-connectors-wire-terminals-a22899-000-64_1000.jpg

Benefit to these is if there is not enough slack to repair a cut cable with a box and wirenuts or when splicing to existing cable with insufficient slack.

MAC702

Jumper does not consider those POS as worthy of attention. Listed or not.

That's certainly a valid opinion. I do consider them far more safe than backstabbed receptacles that I see (and repair) every day. They are actually a PITA to use, but a couple times, they really got the job done in the best way. I mostly do remodeling and repairs.

A j-box must stay accessible. These can be fished back into a wall or walled over. Can save pulling in a new run, assuming that is even possible.

May or may not be what the OP is referring to. I couldn't tell. I've never seen them in a commercial application, as most of that is MC cable around here.

JFletcher

Jumper does not consider those POS as worthy of attention. Listed or not.

:lol:

Mobile homes and trailers are wired with devices that are much like that Tyco /TE Connectivity in-wall splice.

To the op:

To further play Devil's Advocate ala Hal, 50 volts or less and communication wire really should not be spliced outside of a box unlesd it's right at equipment, because if you splice it in a place that is not accessible, you are asking Murphy to step in and make it fail. Even if it is accessible, finding a failed splice outside of the box in a crawl space or hot attic
Is a serious exercise of masochism, and for me personally results in a temporary case of Tourette's syndrome.

FA wiring and temporary wiring/ power are also different animals. We need more information about what is being spliced.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's certainly a valid opinion. I do consider them far more safe than backstabbed receptacles that I see (and repair) every day. They are actually a PITA to use, but a couple times, they really got the job done in the best way. I mostly do remodeling and repairs.
I have used the tap version in crawl spaces for adding receptacles for known loads like wall-mounted TVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.