Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Master Electrician

Texas Master Electrician

Im having a hard time passing the Texas Master Electrician Test. I got the California license on my first try. I'm on my 3rd test for Texas. I got a 45 on my first try then got Mike Holts exam prep and got a 70 but missed it by 5. Anything can help. Im frustrated and have a re-test in 7 days. Any suggestions

i'm taking a prep class with ray holder in arlington texas, the weekend of june 9-10. he's supposed to provide an be excellent seminar/test prep. it's on 2011 nec. there may still be room in the class. look him up on the net. try "ray holder electrical classes" it's actually "ray holder electrical seminars". good luck, keep studying, you'll get it. do you know where you're having trouble with it? if so, focus on that stuff. go thru all the info you've studied so far again before you retest.
    Last edited by PEDRO ESCOVILLA; 06-01-12 at 10:29 AM. Reason: missing info

JJK, how you doing on prep for your exam ? did you find out what your weak spots were ?

Quote Originally Posted by PEDRO ESCOVILLA View Post
    i'm taking a prep class with ray holder in arlington texas, the weekend of june 9-10. he's supposed to provide an be excellent seminar/test prep. it's on 2011 nec. there may still be room in the class. look him up on the net. try "ray holder electrical classes" it's actually "ray holder electrical seminars". good luck, keep studying, you'll get it. do you know where you're having trouble with it? if so, focus on that stuff. go thru all the info you've studied so far again before you retest.
    My advise: If you don't understand something, ask questions. I found that his 'seminar' was nothing more than a quick reference. If you don't already know how to do the basic calculations, this seminar will not help you. There is just not enough time to cover the intricrate details you need to know for most of the calculations.

More than half the time spent in the 'seminar' is taken up by going through and highlighting your code book from the similated test questions they give you. If you get behind asking too many questions, you will not be able to finish highlighting your code book. Not real conducive to learning.

Now I'm not saying his 'seminar' is a rip-off, but it sure isn't worth what he charges (IMHO).
    The Man Prayer: I am a man ... I can change ... If I have to ... I guess.

One other thing. If you don't have a soft bound 2011 NEC, GET ONE. Loose leaf and spiral bound are not allowed for testing, and if you show up without one at the seminar they will strongly suggest that you go get one.
    The Man Prayer: I am a man ... I can change ... If I have to ... I guess.

i took it today, missed it by 7 points (68) i will say this, it is HEAVY on load calculations, feeder demand , generator q's, seem like one wild load calc after another. and they are crazy questions, with tons of info to go through. I'll study up and get 'em next time

there ain't many problems that a man can't fix, with $700.00 and a 30.06
    Last edited by PEDRO ESCOVILLA; 06-14-12 at 03:58 PM. Reason: missing info

The biggest trick to the NM and TX exams are the major load calc questions are worth one point as well as the "what color is a ground screw" type questions. Skip over all the hard questions and do the easy ones first. Then go back and work on the hard ones.

i agree with dneprcowboythin do the easy calc's and the ones you know without looking up first, then the ones you know where to find, then the bigger load calc's. also had lots of questions from drawing. Don't leave any question unanswered. i took my texas masters a few years ago, studied hard for several months and had lots of different study material. learn to use your index and pick out the key words. Good luck.

I passed my test a year ago and made 86 on my first try. I didnt study much but I will say this. As previous others have posted, do the easy ones first and flag the ones that give you trouble and come back to thim. Ive spent 10 years designing systems under a master and that seemed to have helped me. I suggest a good calculation course like the one Mike Holt sells, and a good NEC course as well.
    "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by quinn77 View Post
    I passed my test a year ago and made 86 on my first try. I didnt study much but I will say this. As previous others have posted, do the easy ones first and flag the ones that give you trouble and come back to thim. Ive spent 10 years designing systems under a master and that seemed to have helped me. I suggest a good calculation course like the one Mike Holt sells, and a good NEC course as well.

How did you find out your score? I was under the impression that passing scores were kept secret to prevent the barely passing master from losing status (or work) to the high scoring master.