sub-panel mains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
when do sub-panels require a main, Article references only please.

Article 225.33 a main is required if there are more than six circuit breakers. The six throws of the hand can be the disconnect but if there are seven then a main is needed.

jumper

You can but it still must be the main or no more than 6....in the scenario I mentioned

Thanks. I know. I believe the OP was referring to when is a main breaker needed and I was just fooling around. A main breaker is never required in a sub panel was my point. There are other methods.

As I told Chris, I read too many of charlie b's posts.:)

hurk27

A subpanel in the same building never needs a main because we are required to protect the feeders at the source to the subpanel, but when a subpanel is located in another building or even outdoors and has more then 6 breakers in it, while a main is still not required as a disconnect could be used ahead of it, but just installing a main breaker panel, and adding the ground bars is so much cheaper.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
A subpanel in the same building never needs a main because we are required to protect the feeders at the source to the subpanel, but when a subpanel is located in another building or even outdoors and has more then 6 breakers in it, while a main is still not required as a disconnect could be used ahead of it, but just installing a main breaker panel, and adding the ground bars is so much cheaper.

What is the code ref for this?

hurk27

Agreed. "or even outdoors" seemed to imply something else.
Indoor/Outdoor should not play into at all I think.

I just meant when we mount an R-3 panel like in one case I did an R-3 200 amp for holiday lighting out in a yard behind some bushes, and since it was considered a structure it needed a main and electrode system, but yes in any other place but the building that supply's the subpanel.

Status
Not open for further replies.