Cold calling GC's for work

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydeisland

I just opened up shop and after all the years of working the trade, all the schooling, all the testing and background checking I finally got my C-10 electrical contractors license to much relief. It didn t last long as I realize the task of actually FINDING the work. My side job customers aren t enough to get me going full time. I was wondering the opinion of cold calling GC's. Does anyone else do this?

flyboy

I just opened up shop and after all the years of working the trade, all the schooling, all the testing and background checking I finally got my C-10 electrical contractors license to much relief.

Congrats!

It didn t last long as I realize the task of actually FINDING the work.

"FINDING the work" is only the tip of the iceberg as to what lays ahead of what you will need to learn to be successful in the business of electrical contracting.

My side job customers aren t enough to get me going full time.

That's because it?s no longer a "side job". I mean this is the most caring way; you don't know what you don't know. You need to put together your business plan and a budget.

I was wondering the opinion of cold calling GC's. Does anyone else do this?

I would sooner stab myself in the eye with a steak knife; or have root canal done every day for the rest of my life then work for a GC.

Do yourself a favor, read this book. All the answers are not in this book, but it's a great place to start.

The E-Myth Contractor by Michael Gerber
http://www.amazon.com/-Myth-Contrac...8463/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1305246454&sr=8-7

Best of luck in your new venture!

__dan

yes I think i'll go for the root canal with the steak knife rather than cold call a GC. Give me two.

Survivor is really tame by comparison, Survivor is only 30 days.

If you want GC work I'd start with the bid reporting services, Brown's Letters, Dodge Reports, Construction News. See something you like and pull the plans for the job. Once your name goes on the list of planholders, get that list and look at the other planholders. Day of the bid GC's will call the list of planholders (subs) solicitiing bids.

What they then do with that number I have no clue.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I just opened up shop and after all the years of working the trade, all the schooling, all the testing and background checking I finally got my C-10 electrical contractors license to much relief. It didn t last long as I realize the task of actually FINDING the work. My side job customers aren t enough to get me going full time. I was wondering the opinion of cold calling GC's. Does anyone else do this?

does anyone else do this? not if they can help it.

you are in san diego? orange county here..... upon careful study, i have
determined that there are a lot of people in California who need work done.

most of them don't have any money.
doing work for people who can't pay you is a sub optimum experience.

GC's are normally people who make a living by giving you someone else's
money, eventually.

or, not at all.

if ya like, shoot me a private message, and we can chat about what your
market looks like, given the work that you are good at...

randy

iwire

Staff member
I would sooner stab myself in the eye with a steak knife; or have root canal done every day for the rest of my life then work for a GC.

I always find statements like that to be somewhat foolish, yeah I know GCs suck but that is how the big work gets done.

cdslotz

yes I think i'll go for the root canal with the steak knife rather than cold call a GC. Give me two.

Survivor is really tame by comparison, Survivor is only 30 days.

If you want GC work I'd start with the bid reporting services, Brown's Letters, Dodge Reports, Construction News. See something you like and pull the plans for the job. Once your name goes on the list of planholders, get that list and look at the other planholders. Day of the bid GC's will call the list of planholders (subs) solicitiing bids.

What they then do with that number I have no clue.

I know what they do with it, they shop it to EC's they are comfortable with.
Doing work with GC's is all about a relationship. Cold calling may be a way of introducing yourself, but they usually invite EC's that have a track record doing work for them.
If you dive into the reporting service sewer, you are just a number. GC's that bid jobs through these services will take all of the numbers, and plug the (your) low number, because their competition will use the (your) low number. When they get the job, they will offer the job to their regular EC's, and if they pass, you might get awarded the job. Usually the low EC bid on a street job like this, has a problem
If you have a personal friend that works for a GC is a good way to develop some relationship. Start bidding some small projects to at least give them confidence in your bidding. Not erratic pricing high and low, and good scope coverage. And as they start giving you some work, you have to build their confidence in your performance and your ability to pay your bills.
It's a slow progression to build a relationship, but in the long run, it will pay off. You will earn your way to their short list, so your only competing against 2-3 EC bidders.
Face it, GC's cannot complete projects without good MEP subs. That's why those relationships are so important.
Good luck

flyboy

I always find statements like that to be somewhat foolish,

My point was to discourage the op from working for GC's at this stage of his business career. I seriously doubt he's not in the financial position to seek out that type of work considering the risk.

yeah I know GCs suck but that is how the big work gets done.

I never said GC's "suck", you did. Obviously thats how "big work gets done". What's your point? That someone has to do it? Of course, you would be right; but again, not for a sole proprieter just getting his feet wet in the business of electrical contracting. In my view, thats a risk he cannot take at this stage in his business career.

There are plenty of quality, ethical, well financed, well run general contracting businesses out there to work for. Your blanket statement that "GC's suck" is "foolish".

sigh

iwire

Staff member
My point was to discourage the op from working for GC's at this stage of his business career. I seriously doubt he's not in the financial position to seek out that type of work considering the risk.

I will not presume to know what he is ready for, unlikely he is ready for Whiting Turner or Suffolk etc. But he may be ready for 'Fred's General Contracting and Carpentry'

I never said GC's "suck", you did. Obviously thats how "big work gets done". What's your point?

I think my point was pretty clear, excluding all GCs also excludes a huge amount of potential jobs both large and small.

That someone has to do it? Of course, you would be right; but again, not for a sole proprieter just getting his feet wet in the business of electrical contracting. In my view, thats a risk he cannot take at this stage in his business career.

In my view that would have a lot to do with the GC, GCs come in all sizes. Am I recommending cold calling them ...... not without his eyes being wide open to the fact that many GCs will purposely take advantage of a newbie.

There are plenty of quality, ethical, well financed, well run general contracting businesses out there to work for. Your blanket statement that "GC's suck" is "foolish".

OK I will amend it to 99% of GCs suck and I find they are only getting worse with the economy in the crapper.

I am sorry that opinions different from yours are so taxing to you. :roll:

Sparky555

The GCs I've worked for in the past have been a little too fond of the low bid. Sometimes the low bid is at cost. Sometimes below cost. Please pass the steak knife.

hydeisland

"I will not presume to know what he is ready for, unlikely he is ready for Whiting Turner or Suffolk etc. But he may be ready for 'Fred's General Contracting and Carpentry'"

that s exactly the kind of companies I was talking about. the smaller ones like my self. I was thinking along the lines of calling the guys who advertise on craigslist or in my local circular. The guys who do small remodels and kitchen and bath kind of stuff. I realize there are a lot of shark gc's out there but I tend to believe most guys just want to get the job done in a timely and efficient manner and will reward those who help them do it. Hope I m not being too naivie. I want to build good buisness relationships but don t know if it is out of line to just call out of the blue. I know I don t like it when soliciters call me.

bradleyelectric

"I will not presume to know what he is ready for, unlikely he is ready for Whiting Turner or Suffolk etc. But he may be ready for 'Fred's General Contracting and Carpentry'"

that s exactly the kind of companies I was talking about. the smaller ones like my self. I was thinking along the lines of calling the guys who advertise on craigslist or in my local circular. The guys who do small remodels and kitchen and bath kind of stuff. I realize there are a lot of shark gc's out there but I tend to believe most guys just want to get the job done in a timely and efficient manner and will reward those who help them do it. Hope I m not being too naivie. I want to build good buisness relationships but don t know if it is out of line to just call out of the blue. I know I don t like it when soliciters call me.

The Craigslisters and local circulars for the most part are the guys you want to stay away from. Especially the craigslisters. For the most part they work to cheaply and can't hardly pay their bills robbing Peter to pay Paul trying to stay busy and not doing good work along the way because they can't afford to do the job right for the price they are working for. You will find yourself being just the next Peter.

Do you have any friends in the trade that work as project managers for other trades? They can be a great source of information as to who to call and who to ask for or who to stay away from.

The best way to find work in your situation is the 5 foot rule. Anyone that comes within 5' of you gets a business card. Seriously, hand everyone a card and don't be shy about it. You can buy the things VERY cheaply and if you can't pay for a thousand of the things off the smallest troublshooting job you probably are not charging enough and your paying to much for cards.

Are you a troubleshooter or strictly a new work guy? Commercial or residential?

sgunsel

I don't like it when solicitors call me either, EXCEPT when they have something I want or need. I don't think it can hurt to make a few cold calls. If a GC needs an electrican for a job, you might get it. You have the final say on what you will do and what you will accept. If it works out OK, there is always the possibility of future work together. But I wouldn't make any big sacrifices for the promise of future work -these never seem to materialize.

At the end of the day, would you rather call someone and be turned down, or sit around and hope someone might call you? I think calling ups the odds a bit.

If you can't stand being told no - you are not in the right business.

Strife

If you just now realize that your side jobs (moonlighting?) will not be enough to keep you afloat in business you're in for an ugly reckoning.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
If I ever have to start out from the beginning again I'll cold-call GC's (I didn't originally).

But I'd stress reliablilty and a certain level of quality rather than price.

It's easier to find work when you're working, talking to other subs, foreman for GC later starts his own business, etc.

Sometimes a builder will refer you work that his regular electrician can't or won't do.

__dan

I've been moving in a different direction, trying to, but for a longtime I bid publicly advertised plan and spec State and Municipal public works projects.

I was actually naive and thought the formalisms, standards documents, regular procedures, would lead to a generally better class of participants, better people, and more demanding higher quality work. I was in it for the work.

The amout of robbing, cheating, I would have to have done to match the competition, and really the customer demand, it is not the best fit.

One institution did a billion dollars in construction spending in ten years. When they were done they needed another billion and the state police opened a full time two person office on campus just to investigate construction complaints.

They may still be there and if so I could show them crap I bid against, they still have no clue. Miles of G 4000 raceway run just everywhere, not a single factory fitting, no flat 90's, no inside outside 90's, no tees, just cut slots in the stick and fold the flap down. No bonding integrity, no mechanical and electrical sameness, attachment. Terra Cotta wall penetration, just core and hole saw a matching opening in a stick, no thru wall nipple.

I would run G4000 and use four factory inside 45's to make offsets around mouldings and I beams. Wasn't even on the drawing, knew they would not pay for it and had to give it away. Cheapskates

Some specialty work as a prime, I might have an appetite for. The subs can get beat up pretty bad. The market is just not there, real demand, what the customer is willing, able, and ready to pay for.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Join a local networking groups BNI (Business networking international) NARI (National association of remodeling industry) NARPM (National association of residential property managers).

You have to network, people have to know you, trust you then they will referral business to you. It is about relationships. One thing about networking is you have to put time into it. I have been a founding member of my local BNI chapter and have held almost every position for the last 8 years. The time that i had invested (every Thursday from 6:45AM to 8:30AM for the last 8 years) has paid off.

There are other networking, marketing that you can do to get your business started. But make sure you do your pricing correctly. Don't just think about how long a job takes to do. You have to add in profit, mark up on the material, travel time, car expense, insurance expense, ......) Take business class at your local college. Ask questions. If you do small remodel and service work you can get away without employees, if you do new work you have to have employees.

At the end of the day you will still compete with craigs list advertisers (not all are bad, most are), guys off of home depot lot, handyman, and weekend warriors. Stick to your price and educate the customers why they need to go with you. One of the reasons that my clients refer me is that I offer a 5 year warranty for my workmanship. Just that immediately puts their mind at ease.

good luck. if you want PM me we can chat.

kwired

Electron manager
Before you were licensed as a contractor you did work for other GC's, subs, propedrty owners, etc. didn't you? If you developed any good relation with them then why not start with them?

You may only get small jobs and service calls at first, but make them happy and they will call you back and possibly refer you to others.

GUNNING

should have gotten the GC license

should have gotten the GC license

I have 3 rules to live by
Go where the money is
Complete projects
NO restaurants
and be reliable

Scheduling and office is a real challenge.

Cold calling GC's, make sure you interview them not you getting interviewed.
Pre qualify them asking if they are solvent and who they use as EC's and other subs. Follow up by asking other subs how the payments are being made and what the jobs are like. Remember they will only give you the ones they want you to know about. Go to the court house and look up if there are any open or closed law suits. Have in your standard contracts final dispositions of agreements.
The best way to protect yourself from bad GC's is getting paid up front or paid ahead of your costs. Good luck on that.

Instead of cold calling GC's you might want to get your own GC license.
They let any Tom Dick or Harry be a contractor. The successful ones make money by getting others do do the work, collecting the money, and then paying subs less than they charged, maybe.

bullheimer

did the op die?

did the op die?

i think you have to do it. hand out your card to them at housing shows, if you see their trucks in the parking lot, send them your card with a note from the phone book etc etc. i sent a flyer to almost everyone around here, spent a ton on stamps etc, and got like one or two calls back after about 200 letters. so....

they all have their little buddies, you have to be one of them. just want to add i've gotten waaay more business from them, and homeowners, just stopping by a house that was being framed and asked if they had anyone to do their wiring. maybe one out of 20, but still better than zero. and it doesnt cost anything either. i have often followed a cement truck to a jobsite that is doing a foundation. that didn't work out so well for me, yet... (ambulance chasing)

Last edited:

Strife

Sounds good, except:
Most GC's already work with 2 - 3 EC subs that (wether is true or not) they consider reliable and quality.
In order to push yourself in you have to be lowest price. Much lower. They won't take your word that you're more reliable and do better quality till you work for them a few times. And those few times you'll have to be WAY lower than their normal EC, as if you're close they will give their EC's the opportunity to be the lowest.

If I ever have to start out from the beginning again I'll cold-call GC's (I didn't originally).

But I'd stress reliablilty and a certain level of quality rather than price.

It's easier to find work when you're working, talking to other subs, foreman for GC later starts his own business, etc.

Sometimes a builder will refer you work that his regular electrician can't or won't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.