residential pool feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have never installed feeder for pool equipment. But my understanding is the feeder has to go/come from the main service panel. Is that correct?

Please provide code reference.

Thank you

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What code cycle? Things changed in the 2017 and I don't see where it is necessary to go to a main panel.

680.25 Feeders. These provisions shall apply to any feeder on
the supply side of panelboards supplying branch circuits for
pool equipment covered in Part II of this article and on the
load side of the service equipment or the source of a separately
derived system.

(A) Feeders. Where feeders are installed in corrosive environments
as described in 680.14, the wiring method of that
portion of the feeder shall be as required in 680.14(B) or shall
be liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit. Wiring methods
installed in corrosive environments as described in 680.14 shall
contain an insulated copper equipment grounding conductor
sized in accordance with Table 250.122, but not smaller than
12 AWG.

Where installed in noncorrosive environments, feeders shall
comply with the general requirements in Chapter 3.

(B) Aluminum Conduit. Aluminum conduit shall not be
permitted in the pool area where subject to corrosion.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Isn't the potential issue of coming out of a subpanel that it may be fed with ser which doesn't have an insulated and copper egc?

I don't believe it needs to be insulated or copper for the feeder. For the branch circuit it may be another issue or if in a corrosive environment that would matter.

jumper

What about this? 2014 NEC

(B) Grounding. An equipment grounding conductor shall be installed with the feeder conductors between the grounding terminal of the pool equipment panelboard and the grounding terminal of the applicable service equipment or source of a separately derived system. For other than feeders to separate buildings that do not utilize an insulated equipment grounding conductor in accordance with 680.25(B)(2), this equipment grounding conductor shall be insulated.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
So based on 2014 and my understanding capacity, if I take feeder from a subpanel then I need to make sure the EGC to the subpanel is insulated. Otherwise the pool feeder has to come from the service panel either with insulated EGC or SER. As long as the SER goes directly to the pool panel.
Am I correct?

jumper

So based on 2014 and my understanding capacity, if I take feeder from a subpanel then I need to make sure the EGC to the subpanel is insulated. Otherwise the pool feeder has to come from the service panel either with insulated EGC or SER. As long as the SER goes directly to the pool panel.
Am I correct?

Unless this is feeding to a separate building that complies with 250.32, I do not think you can use SER to feed a pool panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.