De-ox on H.I.D. Lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkwg

I work with a guy that insists on using de-ox on the threads of h.i.d. lamps he installs . He says it helps keep the lamp from seizing to the socket for easier removal later . I've never done it or had problems removing lamps , so I just wanted to see what the people here thought about it . Thanks .

hurk27

While I never used anti-oxidant on the thread of lamps, I have used a high temp bulb grease designed for the purpose, I found most anti-oxidants dry out over time, and the heat just makes it happen faster, high temp silicone bulb grease will go much farther, good lamp brands use a good SS shell as well as the better made fixture manufactures, I avoid fixtures with aluminum screw shells, but when repairing existing fixtures your stuck with what ever was put in, so I make sure with these they get the grease on them.

Last edited:

mivey

We used to use Vaseline. I have heard others use proboscis oil. Hurk had the best suggestion.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I've used a VERY light smear of CopperKote on the threads before. It seemed to thread in MUCH easier than the lamps I almost break taking out.

mivey

If you use petroleum grease on a high wattage lamp, it might actually run down and get on glass and catch on fire or carbonize and bake onto it.
Then don't put on so much. Not like buttering toast. We used to use Vaseline and never had a problem with fire, etc. I like Hurk's suggestion.

mivey

I do it dry and very rarely find getting lamps out to be a problem.
It is a rare problem and I'm not sure of all the reasons why some bases tended to corrode and stick more than others but it seems to be worse in humid environments (shower fixtures, outdoor lights, etc). You would think they would be designed for that but it does not always seem to be the case.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
"grease" not axel grease, what ever the petroleum grease looking stuff you use for car spark plugs passing 50kv and gets as hot as the head.
I go dry also.

mivey

A place I worked had a 55 gallon drum of it for lubricating certain electrical parts..
I never knew it even came in a 55 gallon drum size. That's some serious slick. Can you get that at Sam's Club?:grin:

iwire

Staff member
I never knew it even came in a 55 gallon drum size. That's some serious slick. Can you get that at Sam's Club?:grin:

I thought they were kidding when they told me to go get some from the barrel.

We are talking the original 'petroleum jelly' here none of that modern hand cream stuff.

It was used to lubricate large electric carbon 'brushes' where they contacted commutator rings on slow moving machinery.

Status
Not open for further replies.