Flexible cord allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

400.7A(6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange.

400.7A(8) Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.

Do you know what kind of equipments will comply with above rules if they are located above ceiling? How do we interpret those two rules? Thank you!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If it's a suspened or dropped ceiling... none,,,,
400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings

anbm

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7,
flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:

jumper

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:

And 400.7 does not specifically allow cords, whether attached to an appliance or anything else, to be run in ceilings; therefore, it is illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks, I do that a lot. Drives me bonkers.

No prob, my pleasure.

You probably type faster than you can think.

Me too. I blame it all on 8th grade typing class and the hot girl that sat next to me. As I struggled to hit 20 wpm she took me under her wing. In order to impress her I quickly learned to type 60 wpm, but could only think at around 45.

I wonder what ever happened to her.....

skeshesh

No prob, my pleasure.

You probably type faster than you can think.

Me too. I blame it all on 8th grade typing class and the hot girl that sat next to me. As I struggled to hit 20 wpm she took me under her wing. In order to impress her I quickly learned to type 60 wpm, but could only think at around 45.

I wonder what ever happened to her.....

It's funny you brought that up since I had a very similar situation and at some point hit 60-70 wpm but I just couldn't catch up to her! She was scoring some ridiculous over 100 wpm marks and it drove me crazy till the end of the semester. I guess I do tend to get a bit competitive sometimes, which works out a better with the guys since most of them are in the same boat, but I don't think she even knew I was trying real hard to catch up!

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
It's funny you brought that up since I had a very similar situation and at some point hit 60-70 wpm but I just couldn't catch up to her! She was scoring some ridiculous over 100 wpm marks and it drove me crazy till the end of the semester. I guess I do tend to get a bit competitive sometimes, which works out a better with the guys since most of them are in the same boat, but I don't think she even knew I was trying real hard to catch up!

Their fingers are different. Seriously. Look at the difference between the length of the middle finger between males and females. Male's stick out farther. The reason we are so much better at numbers than females are is because we can reach them easier.

:)

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I never understood if you can't use flexible cord above drop ceilings than how do they allow hospitals and such to plug monitors and tv's above a drop ceiling? :confused: I always see that around here and it bugs the crap out of me...

iwire

Staff member
I never understood if you can't use flexible cord above drop ceilings than how do they allow hospitals and such to plug monitors and tv's above a drop ceiling? :confused: I always see that around here and it bugs the crap out of me...

It is not allowed, the only reason you see it is because either it was done without inspections or the inspector did not want to strain his neck looking up.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The hospitals I have been in recently had something inset into the ceiling grid to mount the Tv in and had outlets and plusg for the cables going to the TV. The cords were all on the TV side of the ceiling. I bet there was some kind of flex above the ceiling.

This is a rule that ought to be reviewed just for stupidity. There is nothing unsafe about running these kind of cords above a ceiling grid. And it adds a lot of cost in these kind of installs for no good reason.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
With all due respect, what makes that an "authoritive answer" ?
I agree with the statement, but that said, I aked a member of CMP 18 which covers Art 406 and his reply was:

"plug ins above the ceiling are ok as long as they are (1) accessible and (2) completely above the ceiling for the entire length of the cord.?

I have not had a chance to discuss it further, but there certainly seems to be more than one "authoritive answer"

iwire

Staff member
This is a rule that ought to be reviewed just for stupidity. There is nothing unsafe about running these kind of cords above a ceiling grid. And it adds a lot of cost in these kind of installs for no good reason.

To me this tells me you don't get out much:grin:, if you open the door a crack to allow a cord for TV above the ceiling all bets are off after that.

IMO there is a safety issues and it has to do with dry rot with true rubber cords, I have pulled old ones out only top have all the insulation fall off.

Hendrix

"plug ins above the ceiling are ok as long as they are (1) accessible and (2) completely above the ceiling for the entire length of the cord.?

[/QUOTE]

So...........Is he saying that a cord and plug connected condensate pump is OK above a hung ceiling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.