mini splits disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFL

What are you guys using for disconnect switches on 120v condensing units? I've got three LG mini splits to wire. I know it's not a big deal and I can use any ac disconnect, just wondering.

CFL

we still just use the GE non fused ac disconnects. How much do the condensors draw?

I'm waiting for the specs, but over the phone the ac guy said 17amps. I'm assuming that is FLA. These condensers also feed two inside air handlers each @24VDC.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
HVAC Disconnect

HVAC Disconnect

I have been involved with several installations of the Mitsubishi mini split HVAC. I install the circuit and disconnect for the outside unit. I typically install a 14/3 UF cable to a 60 amp disconnect with GFCI receptacle installed in the disconnect. The GFCI takes care of the required receptacle for AC servicing.
The units require 240 volts and a 20 amp breaker. However, the instructions state that it is okay to use #14.
The HVAC people take care of the rest. FYI, remind the HVAC people to install a disconnect switch at each inside unit. They try to avoid this since it is not a pretty sight. I have seen inspectors fail the mechanical inspection due to the lack of the disconnect.

CFL

I have been involved with several installations of the Mitsubishi mini split HVAC. I install the circuit and disconnect for the outside unit. I typically install a 14/3 UF cable to a 60 amp disconnect with GFCI receptacle installed in the disconnect. The GFCI takes care of the required receptacle for AC servicing.
The units require 240 volts and a 20 amp breaker. However, the instructions state that it is okay to use #14.
The HVAC people take care of the rest. FYI, remind the HVAC people to install a disconnect switch at each inside unit. They try to avoid this since it is not a pretty sight. I have seen inspectors fail the mechanical inspection due to the lack of the disconnect.

I have done Mitsubishi before also. They were 240v outside and line voltage inside (can't remember if it was 120 or 240). I always installed switches at inside unit.

These units, however, I am told, are 24VDC from the condenser to inside.

GUNNING

PAS split

PAS split

The ones I have installed are 120 volt inside and take a 3 pole disconect switch inside with a a/c disconnect outside and use carflex to get inside. The case is thin plastic screwed and clipped together. Good luck.

renosteinke

For the condensing units, I like the Square-D TR200. I replace the switch unit inside with an appropriate breaker.

For those not familiar with the unit, it is an HVAC disconnect whoe switch is molded into a case identical to a 2-pole QO-type breaker. There is no amp rating marked on the handle - it's NOT a breaker, just a switch - but it's rated at 60 amps. Since most mini-splits seem to call for 25 amp OCPD, that's what I use in place of the switch.

If I need to add a service receptacle, I just pass my HVAC feeders through a deep Bell box (where I mount the receptacle, separate circuit) then continue on to the switch.

Last edited:

CFL

Finally got the specs. The outside unit is 240V, not sure about the inside, didn't show on the email. I did look on the website and the only models I saw with low voltage DC to the inside unit were fed with 120V outside. On those models, the inside is 36VDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.