EMT vertical support requirements..

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdktoys

The NEC has vertical supporting requirements for RMC and IMC but nothing for EMT. Am I to assume that I must maintain 10 foot supporting for both Horizontal and vertical installations of EMT?

BKLELEC

EMT vertical support

EMT vertical support

Is there a specific code that addresses the support of verticle runs of EMT?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The max is 15', read 358.30(A) exc. #1

I think you should read that again. It has nothing to do with vertical runs. I know of no specific code for vertical runs being different than horizontal runs. There is, however, T. 300.19(A) for vertical support of conductors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I see 10' am missing something?

358.30 Securing and Supporting.
EMT shall be installed as a complete system in accordance with 300.18 and shall be securely fastened in place and supported in accordance with 358.30(A) and (B) or permitted to be unsupported in accordance with 358.30(C).
(A) Securely Fastened. EMT shall be securely fastened in place at least every 3 m (10 ft). In addition, each EMT run between termination points shall be securely fastened within 900 mm (3 ft) of each outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet, conduit body, or other tubing termination.
Exception No. 1: Fastening of unbroken lengths shall be permitted to be increased to a distance of 1.5 m (5 ft) where structural members do not readily permit fastening within 900 mm (3 ft).
Exception No. 2: For concealed work in finished buildings or prefinished wall panels where such securing is impracticable, unbroken lengths (without coupling) of EMT shall be permitted to be fished.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I think you should read that again. It has nothing to do with vertical runs. I know of no specific code for vertical runs being different than horizontal runs. There is, however, T. 300.19(A) for vertical support of conductors.

I was simple referencing the code section for emt supporting and securing.

BKLELEC

IMC and RMC call out specific reguirements for vertical risers from industrial machinery but I do not see any such requirement for EMT. Does this mean EMT shouldn't/can't be used for verical risers from machinery?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
IMC and RMC call out specific reguirements for vertical risers from industrial machinery but I do not see any such requirement for EMT. Does this mean EMT shouldn't/can't be used for verical risers from machinery?

If you have 30' ceilings I would say that you are correct EMT can't be used, but there are ways around that. You could maybe use some unistrut and secure the EMT at the machinery and maybe use racks so that you can drop down a little lower. But i would say that RMC or IMC is the better way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.