277V Disconnect Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I think what Infinity is getting at is if the 24v control panel on the other side qualifies as a grounded enclosure according to the table, the working clearance gets increased from 3 to 3.5 feet.

Read through the three conditions under the table. That helps explain the requirements.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think what Infinity is getting at is if the 24v control panel on the other side qualifies as a grounded enclosure according to the table, the working clearance gets increased from 3 to 3.5 feet.

Read through the three conditions under the table. That helps explain the requirements.

Yes, that's why I was asking. If it were in a plastic enclosure then the required space would be less.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think the real question is "is this a condition 2 or a condition 3 installation?". Give the low voltage on one side, I am inclined to say it is a condition 2 installation and will require 42" of clearance.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think the real question is "is this a condition 2 or a condition 3 installation?". Give the low voltage on one side, I am inclined to say it is a condition 2 installation and will require 42" of clearance.

That was my thought as well, 277 volts on one side and a grounded enclosure on the other.

110.26(A) States 600v to ground.

The table, Condition 3 states live parts on both sides; Condition 2 states grounded parts on the other side of the working space.

There is permission in the NEC for some systems of voltages lower than 50v to be ungrounded.

We also have 110.26(A)(1)(b) Low Voltage.

So this may not be a simple question.
A little more info from the OP may help to come to an agreeable conclusion amongst us all. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.