New 2017 422.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince1971

So appliances operating less than 50 volts do not have to be listed. See Article 100 for def. Was this put in for security cameras and the like ? Just wondering.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think it has more to do with protection from shock and fire. It appears that less than 50v is not an issue. There was one dissenter

Committee StatementCommitteeStatement: The Panel recognized the need to be more specific as to which appliances should be listed.Applied the code required protection from contact with live parts (Section 110.27) as the means tospecify which appliance shall be listed.ResponseMessage:public Comment No. 1517-NFPA 70-2015 [Section No. 422.6]

Negative with CommentCook, Donald R. While I agree that listing of some appliances may not be necessary to achieve protection from shock and fire, Idon't agree with using a 50 volt line of demarcation. I would recommend relief be provided by an exception. Seethe following recommended text for 422.6. 422.6 Listing Required. All appliances shall be listed. Exception:Appliances supplied or charged by a listed Class 2 power source.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Definitions--

Appliance. Utilization equipment, generally other than industrial,
that is normally built in standardized sizes or types and is
installed or connected as a unit to perform one or more functions
such as clothes washing, air-conditioning, food mixing,
deep frying, and so forth.

Adamjamma

Smoke detectors, horn strobes that are part of a fire alarm system.... see where I'm going with this

those are part of a fire circuit... even in residential there are codes concerning how they are installed, or is that just in EU?

Anyway, know that they now must be installed properly when wired together, and they are not considered appliances.

Status
Not open for further replies.