What are the requirements in the luminaire certification/installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelocum

It is very difficult to develope complete products when you are not expert in the electrical installations.

In summary my main problems are:

LED CEILING SURFACE LUMINAIRE (Voltage 33VDC)

- I would like to install the driver and connections inside the outlet box in order to avoid ground connection in the metal luminaire body
- If I use a deeper canopy sure that I can install my driver but I don't know if I have to connect the metal luminaire to ground

LED RECESSED LUMINAIRE (Voltage 33VDC)

- If I'm only theluminaire manufacturer, my obligation is only to list/certificate the luminaire according to UL stanndard. But the installation means (outlet boxes, housings...) are obligation from installator. Isn't?
- All my luminaires are Non-IC because if I put isolating material the temperature is greater than 90ºC so the UL certification is failed. So, I can sell my luminaire as "Non-IC" directly or I can offer a "IC housing" to get the IC option. Isn't?
- Should be listed the IC housings?
- I would like to offer too a mounting frame for new constructions, but with possibilities for different sizes (3,4,5 inches) Do you know any universal piece and supplier?
- Also I would like to have a mounting frame with the possibility to add a box for changing into IC. Is it possible?
- Do you know a good supplier/shop for IC housings, mounting frames and similar?
- Is it possible to find an IC housing where a luminaire can be fixed with lateral springs like in the next photo?

attachment.php

Thank you for all your help.

Best regards friends.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
It is very difficult to develope complete products when you are not expert in the electrical installations.

In summary my main problems are:

LED CEILING SURFACE LUMINAIRE (Voltage 33VDC)

- I would like to install the driver and connections inside the outlet box in order to avoid ground connection in the metal luminaire body
- If I use a deeper canopy sure that I can install my driver but I don't know if I have to connect the metal luminaire to ground

LED RECESSED LUMINAIRE (Voltage 33VDC)

- If I'm only theluminaire manufacturer, my obligation is only to list/certificate the luminaire according to UL stanndard. But the installation means (outlet boxes, housings...) are obligation from installator. Isn't?
- All my luminaires are Non-IC because if I put isolating material the temperature is greater than 90ºC so the UL certification is failed. So, I can sell my luminaire as "Non-IC" directly or I can offer a "IC housing" to get the IC option. Isn't?
- Should be listed the IC housings?
- I would like to offer too a mounting frame for new constructions, but with possibilities for different sizes (3,4,5 inches) Do you know any universal piece and supplier?
- Also I would like to have a mounting frame with the possibility to add a box for changing into IC. Is it possible?
- Do you know a good supplier/shop for IC housings, mounting frames and similar?
- Is it possible to find an IC housing where a luminaire can be fixed with lateral springs like in the next photo?

attachment.php

Thank you for all your help.

Best regards friends.

I would persist on passing the UL IC rating test. Use a bigger heat sink or whatever you need to. All LED's pass this test. You will get hammered in the market if all your competitors are IC rated and your not. Yes all metal parts need to be bonded together. Connect all the exposed metal parts together well and have a clearly labeled grounding (earthing) lug. Make sure all internal wire is rated 600 Volt and 105C.
33VDC is not a standard voltage call it 32 VDC.
Cheers

jelocum

Difficult process for me

Difficult process for me

Thank you for your help tortuga.

We are trying to also obtain same suggestions from the certification laboratory, but they don't help us. They are too big, and they forget the customer's care.

I will try to improve our designs for passing the IC tests, but it is sure that not all can fulfill the IC requirements without a special housing for ceiling.

Do you know if there are some manufacturer of IC housings, mounting frames...? that can be adapted to our spring system? I have discovered in our competitors that they offer a luminaire like "Non-IC" with a mounting frame and as extra they offer an IC box to put on the mounting frame.

The American system is very different to European but seems very strong and intelligent. in Europe all is selling and selling, not safety.

If you can recommend me some supplier for housing, junction boxes or anything useful it will be perfect.

Thank you so much.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thank you for your help tortuga.

We are trying to also obtain same suggestions from the certification laboratory, but they don't help us. They are too big, and they forget the customer's care.

I will try to improve our designs for passing the IC tests, but it is sure that not all can fulfill the IC requirements without a special housing for ceiling.

The lab is not supposed to help you design your product. They are only there to test your product and see if it passes the relevant standards.

How you design it to pass the relevant standards is up to you.

I would think that an LED source would not need to dissipate anywhere near as much heat as an incandescent or halogen bulb would. It should make the IC rating a lot easier to come by.

Is there some reason you have to put the driver in the can? Put the driver in a junction box somewhere else and just run wires to the can.

Status
Not open for further replies.