Sq D QO 200A clamp on neutral retrofit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jons

Does anyone know if its possible to retrofit a clamp on neutral bus into a pigtail style Arc Fault/GFI Sq. D 200A residential application QO panel?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
It’s the same cabinet, so I’m sure you could buy the plug-on neutral loadcenter and swap the interiors. You wouldn’t be able to just swap the plug-on rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peter d

Somewhat related - last spring I did a QO panel changeout - sort of. The panel got water in it so I decided to only change the guts and breakers. The can was in the wall and would be a nightmare to replace. So I ordered a new panel from the supplier with the exact same part number as the original. Turns out the new guts were ever so slightly different from the original QO panel installed in the 1990's. I had to drill and tap some holes and do some careful measuring to make it work. Thankfully it turned out very well since I'm an extremely skilled and talented electrician. :thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager
Somewhat related - last spring I did a QO panel changeout - sort of. The panel got water in it so I decided to only change the guts and breakers. The can was in the wall and would be a nightmare to replace. So I ordered a new panel from the supplier with the exact same part number as the original. Turns out the new guts were ever so slightly different from the original QO panel installed in the 1990's. I had to drill and tap some holes and do some careful measuring to make it work. Thankfully it turned out very well since I'm an extremely skilled and talented electrician. :thumbsup:
There appears to be some slight changes to cabinets in more recent years that could give those kinds of troubles. but they otherwise have stayed close enough over about 20-25 years that one often can swap interior parts with little or no modification. I even had a few cases of upgrading single phase to three phase by swapping interior parts in same dimension cabinets. Over the years I have taken several 6 or 8 space outdoor QO loadcenters (the ones with horizontal bus) that failed and replaced with guts out of an interior panel (cost less than outdoor panel and you don't have to remove raceways/cables either).

Status
Not open for further replies.