GFCI required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkSafe

I'm trying to determine if some receptacles need to be GFCI protected or not.

We have a administrative area in a aircraft maintenance hanger and there is currently a active water supply line with spickets inside the office area. This room was once a industrial parts type room converted to office.

Directly below and to the sides of these water spickets are receptacles and computer equipment.

After reading 210.8(B), it doesn't seem this situation warrants protection, but I made the call yesterday for this facility replace the receptacles with GFCI or throw a GFCI breaker in the box is capable.

What are your opinions on this? There's no sink in this room. I tried uploading a photo but it failed to do so, might just be our firewall here.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Although it may enhance safety it's not required by the NEC therefore you should make it a suggestion not a requirement.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
The "Code" can't look at every situation that could possibly ever happen.

I believe that you, a qualified, learned, and thinking electrician can assess the situation and see the potential hazards even if the code cannot, per se.

Better safe than sorry.

cadpoint

They weren't sure if it was gonna remain a office, so they didn't want to touch the water.

Ok why not cut in a valve just the same so you don't have a leak or someone using it inapproriate anyways. Besides that you could have someone check anyways that the H2O pipe is bonded. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.