Nec 220.56

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcengineer

We are debating here in the office this fine Friday morning. One side believes that display case refrigeration equipment is subject to the demand factors in NEC 220.56. I do not agree. We have a deli with meat cases and refrigerators and I say no demand per 220.56.

Anyone want to be the tie-breaker?

Thx

jumper

Wouldn't these items have T-stat controls?

220.56 Kitchen Equipment ? Other Than Dwelling
Unit(s). It shall be permissible to calculate the load for
commercial electric cooking equipment, dishwasher
booster heaters, water heaters, and other kitchen equipment
in accordance with Table 220.56. These demand factors
shall be applied to all equipment that has either thermostatic
control.......

cdcengineer

Yes, I would assume the refrigerator equipment would have internal t-stat control, however I do not think that is the intent of t-stat control per code.

cdcengineer

First sentence in 220.56. ....permissible to calculate the load for commercial electric cooking equipment......

I am aware the same article goes on to state that all thermostatically controlled equipment can be calculated with these demand factors, but I don't necessarily believe that refrigerators (case style coolers) won't run quite a bit. I also see no mention of refrigeration in either the article or the expanded text provided in the handbook.

I could be wrong, but I would prefer to err to the conservative side.

I appreciate the comments.

marti smith

...and other kitchen equipment in accordance with Table 220.56....that has [either] thermostatic control [or intermittent use]. I would say the deli case has t-stat control and intermittent use- although it may not be "kitchen" equipment, per se (is it in the kitchen?).

cdcengineer

None of this equipment is in a "kitchen" per se. It's a butcher shop/deli. I'm not going to apply it to the case fridge equipment, but I will apply demand factors to slicers, grinders, etc.

Thx

skeshesh

;)Can you make us some sandwiches?

I second that!

But regarding your reading of the language cdc, I disagree. The statement is "220.56 Kitchen Equipment ? Other Than Dwelling
Unit(s). It shall be permissible to calculate the load for
commercial electric cooking equipment, dishwasher
booster heaters, water heaters, and other kitchen equipment...". cooking equipment are clearly one of the items that apply, but there are others. As far as the type of unit you're talking about being a kitchen equipment, I guess I could see the argument that it's not...

Status
Not open for further replies.