NYS Residential Code Cycles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newservice

Recently (5/11) a city inspector told me I needed to include AFCI breakers on all new circuits in a home I am rewiring here in Syracuse NY(per the '08 NEC.) . Last year, two different inspectors required them only in the bedrooms. Is there some rhyme or reason to when the 2008 code is adopted in NYS? I have found several threads on this and some say residential codes are still on the '02 or '05 NEC. Does residential lag? Is he going to make me replace my receptacles with tamper proof? Shouldnt I be able to find out which code we adopt and when? Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

ceknight

...Is there some rhyme or reason to when the 2008 code is adopted in NYS?....... Shouldnt I be able to find out which code we adopt and when?

You're working under the 2010 NYS Residential Code now, which references the 2008 NEC. For the moment, anyway.

You should get yourself a copy of the City of Syracuse electrical code handbook next time you're downtown pulling a permit, also.

newservice

You're working under the 2010 NYS Residential Code now, which references the 2008 NEC. For the moment, anyway.

You should get yourself a copy of the City of Syracuse electrical code handbook next time you're downtown pulling a permit, also.

I do have a copy of the 'Syracuse electrical code', and have had one since 1995. Interesting code book, basically dealing with licensing and administration, permits etc.
As the local AHJ has the highest authority, this is the one that binds. Im not sure what effect the '2010 NYS Residential code' has, but, 15.8 of the Syracuse electric code does state that 'the latest version of the NEC is adopted and made part of the electrical code of city of Syracuse.' That would be the 2011 code then im guessing. But thanks for reminding me, I knew I had seen that but I must have forgot it. So I guess by law we should all be putting AFCIs in any new circuits as specified, and installing tamper resistant receptacles too... *rolls eyes*

Last edited:

donf

Mild correction

Mild correction

AFCIs are not required in all rooms, for example, kitchens are not required to have them.

I will certainly agree that just about every family type room does require them.

newservice

Anyone know off hand if the 2010 NYS Residential (building?) Code accept the portions of the 2008 NEC regarding arc faults and tamper proofs? I just read that Ohio did not accept the tamper proofs

ceknight

Anyone know off hand if the 2010 NYS Residential (building?) Code accept the portions of the 2008 NEC regarding arc faults and tamper proofs?

The 2008 NEC is a fully-referenced standard for the 2010 NYS Resi Code. There could be local exceptions, but otherwise assume full 2008 NEC compliance.

Until they change it to the 2011 NEC later this year. ;) That's going to be really interesting, so far as I know it may be the first time an operational NYS building code cycle will reference a "future" (by date) standard.

newservice

The 2008 NEC is a fully-referenced standard for the 2010 NYS Resi Code. There could be local exceptions, but otherwise assume full 2008 NEC compliance.

Until they change it to the 2011 NEC later this year. ;) That's going to be really interesting, so far as I know it may be the first time an operational NYS building code cycle will reference a "future" (by date) standard.

So I assume, without looking at the 2010 building code, there are no exceptions for the afci being the 05 code, etc?

By the way CE, is nice to meet you, is that your name and are you licensed in the city here too?

spooky42

NYS Residential Code Cycles

NYS Residential Code Cycles

The 2010 NYS Residential Code was adopted on December 28, 2010.
It references the 2008 NEC. This code will be in affect for 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.