ceiling fan lamps burning out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Lamps are 2pin hologens that keep burning out. The fan is operated on remote control along with 5 others. Any theories?

How old is the light kit/fan? How long do the bulbs last? My thinking is if the light/fan is a few years old the sockets could be worn. Also, sometimes the 2-pin bulb is not blown but merely loose. Check the bulb by pushing/moving it around before you change them. Make sure you aren't touching the bulb with your bare hands, use a cloth, paper towel etc.. Also you might try spreading the pins out a bit to give them a tighter connection. This has been my experience with them. The sockets aren't built very well and vibration and changing bulbs will cause the holes to enlarge then the bulb won't have a good connection.

coryaes1

I have used this idea on many standard bulb in high vibration area never on a 2 pin i use a small amount of deox on the itp and threaded are i had 1 site bulbs would last 2 months tops after this trick its been 2 years

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Some bulbs are not design for the vibration of a fan. One would think if this bulb came with the fan that would not be an issue but you never know. If this a low voltage or high voltage bi pin. If is is line voltage perhaps look and see if can get a 130v bi-pin instead of a 120v. I know they are made.

Electric-Light

I could think of high vibration or high lamp voltage.
Attach some weights on the blade like they do to tires and see if you could improve the balance.

Standard household lamps are rated based on 120.0v AC 60Hz, +5% ~ about 1/2 life. +10% = ~25%.

Though car battery is known as "12v" resting state battery is around 12.6v. The system voltage is around 13.8 to 14.1v with the engine running. Since lights are usually meant to be used with the engine running, the life rating on automotive lamps are often rated at 14.0v.

I don't know how MR-16 halogen and such are rated. I have not researched it. Some 12v system are designed for dead on 12v. The yellow power line inside the computer is designated 12.0v.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I could think of high vibration or high lamp voltage.
Attach some weights on the blade like they do to tires and see if you could improve the balance.

Standard household lamps are rated based on 120.0v AC 60Hz, +5% ~ about 1/2 life. +10% = ~25%.

Though car battery is known as "12v" resting state battery is around 12.6v. The system voltage is around 13.8 to 14.1v with the engine running. Since lights are usually meant to be used with the engine running, the life rating on automotive lamps are often rated at 14.0v.

I don't know how MR-16 halogen and such are rated. I have not researched it. Some 12v system are designed for dead on 12v. The yellow power line inside the computer is designated 12.0v.

I would think that the design of an automotive '12 volt' bulb and one meant for residential use would be different.

An automotive bulb has to operate most of it's life at between 14 and 15 volts. It has to be resistant to vibration and operate over a vast range of temperatures.

A household 12 volt bulb does not have to be designed to suffer such consequences.

To that effect, I would suspect that an automotive bulb would outlast a household bulb, but at the expense of brightness. (Thicker elements are more durable, but produce less light)

Status
Not open for further replies.