230.24(A) Exception 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

billsnuff

I have a pole at my detached garage which runs to a thru the roof mast at my house. The service conductors just miss the corner of my deck at the house and are 10' above the deck.

I am enclosing the deck for a three season porch and installing a hip roof. The service conductors will be less than 3 feet above the overhang of this new roof.

It is my intention to use Ex 3 even though the unfused service conductors do not have a point of attachment at the new roof, but will be about 24" above the overhang of the finished hip.

What say you?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have a pole at my detached garage which runs to a thru the roof mast at my house. The service conductors just miss the corner of my deck at the house and are 10' above the deck.

I am enclosing the deck for a three season porch and installing a hip roof. The service conductors will be less than 3 feet above the overhang of this new roof.

It is my intention to use Ex 3 even though the unfused service conductors do not have a point of attachment at the new roof, but will be about 24" above the overhang of the finished hip.

What say you?

What is the length of the conductors passing over the roof? The exception says not more than 4' horizontally.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

What say you?
I'm going to say no only because I believe the termination part is intended for the roof overhang being passed over.

What about Exc#2? Is the slope of your roof 4 in 12 or greater?

billsnuff

The slope of the roof will be 4 in 12 and I have shortened the overhang design
length to 4' or less horizontally.

230.24 Clearances

(A) Above Roofs

The way I read this section is does not say specifically which roof, just roofs.

and exception 3: less than 300 volts, good; less than 6', good; less than 4', good;
and thy are terminated at a thru the roof raceway which was inspected and approved in 2001. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.