Other outlets with smoke detectors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Krall

I've been looking to see what controls other outlets on a branch circuit with smoke detectors. Threads here advise commonly-used lighting on circuit with smoke detectors so tripped breaker is seen.

Seems like this is the control... given a smoke detector is continuous (tiny, but all the time anyhow).

210.19 Conductors ? Minimum Ampacity and Size.
(A) Branch Circuits Not More Than 600 Volts.
(1) General. Branch-circuit conductors shall have an ampacity
not less than the maximum load to be served. Where
a branch circuit supplies continuous loads or any combination
of continuous and noncontinuous loads, the minimum
branch-circuit conductor size, before the application of any
adjustment or correction factors, shall have an allowable ampacity
not less than the noncontinuous load plus 125 percent
of the continuous load

Am wondering if I've corralled this or not...

3 smoke detectors, 5 x 50w lamps, 1x 25w lamp, 2x 2amp ceiling fans... and that 14awg and a 15amp breaker is plenty. Would use 12awg and 20amp if receptacles on this circuit with others.

Is my understanding clear?

Mike

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
3 smoke detectors, 5 x 50w lamps, 1x 25w lamp, 2x 2amp ceiling fans... and that 14awg and a 15amp breaker is plenty. Would use 12awg and 20amp if receptacles on this circuit with others.

Is my understanding clear?

Mike

5 @ 50w = 250watts
2 @ 240W= 480 probably less than 60 watts total.

So why would a 15 amp circuit not be enough? I am not understanding your concern

Mike Krall

5 @ 50w = 250watts

So why would a 15 amp circuit not be enough? I am not understanding your concern

Poor wording on my part, Dennis... 15 amp would be enough. But IF it made sense to add more outlets as receptacles, and it may, I feel I would build the circuit as 20a... not knowing what all might be plugged in to them, whether it reached the limit or not.

Mike

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I think putting the smoke detectors on a circuit with the lights is sort of outdated. Now we use battery backups that chirp when either the AC power is missing or the batteries are dying.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think putting the smoke detectors on a circuit with the lights is sort of outdated. Now we use battery backups that chirp when either the AC power is missing or the batteries are dying.

They are not supposed to chirp if the A/C power is off. They should only chirp if the batteries are low. I think putting the smokes on their own circuit is a very bad idea.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
They are not supposed to chirp if the A/C power is off. They should only chirp if the batteries are low. I think putting the smokes on their own circuit is a very bad idea.

I would second that as people will disconnect the power and remove the batteries.
You can't enforce morality here but at least you can try.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Poor wording on my part, Dennis... 15 amp would be enough. But IF it made sense to add more outlets as receptacles, and it may, I feel I would build the circuit as 20a... not knowing what all might be plugged in to them, whether it reached the limit or not.

Mike
Well with that logic you may not ever use 15 amp circuits because someone may add to it. Generally I wire receptacles on 20 amp circuits but it certainly is not required, esp in bedrooms.

At some point you need to make a decision that is comfortable to you. Think about a living room and what gets plugged in it-- not much.

Per the Mass State building code, you cannot put smokes on their own circuit. Not sure of the exact wording of the building code, but they must be on a branch circuit that supplies a common area, lighting and/or receptacles.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I used to put them on a dedicated 15 amp circuit, but now that they have to be on Arc Fault in residential, I just put them on one of the bedroom circuits.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

I agree.
I always have smoke alarms on the lighting circuit.

you should be fine*with the 15Amp circuit.

Mike Krall

5 @ 50w = 250watts

Dennis,

I'm sorry... I thought I posted an answer to your question this afternoon. The 20 amp part is poor wording. I may put a number of receptacles on with the listed outlets. If that is the final, I'd likely run the circuit 12awg/20 amp 'cause there is no telling what might get plugged in.

Thank you and all for your help...

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.