wire bending space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

I am having difficulty understanding wire bending space considerations. Have a set of panelboard guts to install in an exisitng enclosure and have been told that the newer enclosures are longer to provide for newer requirements of wire bending space. In this case the conductors enter on the bottom of the enclosure and go up to the the top and loop 180 deg in a nice clean loop down to the lugs. not sure what the exisiting space is but need to make sure to remount the new interior so that the correct space is maintained. I think this can be done but am not certain which table to use to calculate it. It is a 250 amp 42 space interior with I think 4/0 cu conductors existing. Dont want to change the can because of the way all the rigid piping comes in. Its 3 blocked and would require a major deal to change the can.new can is 6 inches longer thatn the old one. This is in a restaurant chain store and cant shut this panel down for more than overnite.

stew

I am being told now that I cannot install a new style panel interior in an existing can due to the fact that the new cans are 6 inches higher than the old 38 inch cans. This doesnt make sense to me on a main lug panel. I can see why they added the extra space when a main breaker is added to the top of the bus due to the fact that then and only then do you have a problem if it were installed in a 38 inch high can. The new interior main lug style has 8 1/2 to 9 inches above the terminal and I just cant see why it cant be installed.One inspector tells me it is due to the fact that it wouldnt be then listed. Any thoughts on this?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The listing might be your only issue. What were you going to use for the cover/trim if the new panel were longer than the old?

kwired

Electron manager
Length of new and old cabinets have nothing to do with the issue.

The distance from the lugs to the end of the cabinet are the issue.

Some panelboards have 'convertible' main lug to main breaker assemblies.

These will have a different lug position when main breaker is installed vs. when main lugs are installed. If you do not have the main breaker installed you will typically have more space for wire bending with these panelboards.

stew

you all seem to have the same opinion that I do that wire bending space is the issue and not the actually can size. I am being told it is a ul listing issue. As far as the panel cover the new on will fit with a minor modification to the bottom support foot which will need to be repositioned to aid in cover installation and removal. very slight repositioning of the support leg and the cover will fit just fine and just cover more wall space.

Status
Not open for further replies.