damaged disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigH2O

I need help with with a compliance question:

I have a disconnect that the insulation on the handle is missing from.

In my mind a disconect or breaker must be replaced whenever it is damaged, or not in its original state as designed by the manufacutrer, but can not find any reference to this in the NEC. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

WorkSafe

My next question would be, "could the handle become energized?"

I take it this is a knife switch?

I was once shown a damaged circuit breaker handle that exposed the employee to a shock hazard. I don't think knife switches are designed that way, but I could be wrong. I'll research some.

Last edited:

WorkSafe

You may be able to use this, but I think a qualified electrician or engineer would have to determine some things though:

OSHA

1910.303(b)(7)(iv)

There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affect safe operation or mechanical strength of the equipment, such as parts that are broken, bent, cut, or deteriorated by corrosion, chemical action, or overheating.

iwire

Staff member
Nothing in the NEC, I think the OSHA standard quoted above is the best you will find.

As far as the 'likely to become energized' I highly doubt that that plastic handle was ever intended as protection against electrical shocks. I imagine it is there for the comfort of the person operating the switch.

Last edited:

renosteinke

WHAT insulation on the handle?

I'm not aware of any disconnect, any switch, that relies upon the construction of the handle to protect you from shock. Just like your pliers, the handles have plastic parts for comfort, convenience, and are a design choice .... not a part of the 'safety' of the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.