Is this a code violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahualin

We have a project with open office area. The client would like to have their workstations moveable in the open office space. So they would like to remove existing ceiling tiles, keep the existing ceiling grids, put cable trays with power outlets above open ceiling grids, and hang heavy duty extension cords from power outlets to power workstations through the open ceiling grids. Does this application violate NEC 400.8?

Thanks,

David

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We have a project with open office area. The client would like to have their workstations moveable in the open office space. So they would like to remove existing ceiling tiles, keep the existing ceiling grids, put cable trays with power outlets above open ceiling grids, and hang heavy duty extension cords from power outlets to power workstations through the open ceiling grids. Does this application violate NEC 400.8?

Thanks,

David

I believe it is fine as long as the cord does not penetrate the hung ceiling.

iwire

Staff member
400.8 doesn't apply for uses specifically permitted in 400.7.

That's what it says. I don't make up the rules, I just try my darnedest to follow them.

:cool:

There is nothing in 400.7 that specifically permits cords to penetrate the ceiling.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
There is nothing in 400.7 that specifically permits cords to penetrate the ceiling.

400.8 does not say 'unless the following is specifically permitted.' It only says 'specifically permitted'.

400.7 is exclusive. I see nothing in 400.7 that allows the use of flexible cords or cables in the manner the OP is asking about.

This is a very ambiguous topic. The best would be for the OP to request a plan approval from the AHJ before he starts the work.

Finite10

If there are no tiles, only the grid, is there really a ceiling there to penetrate? I don't think so, the grid just becomes an architectural detail.

That's true... for THIS tenant. I wouldn’t gamble that the building inspector, fire marshal, and electrical inspector all trust that usage in perpetuity.

So, 400.8 (4), Exception refers to busways in 368.56 (B) for the 6' to a Kellum grip (8' in industrial). I've seen that same rule applied to J-boxes all the time but can't find now in the NEC.
?

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
400.8 does not say 'unless the following is specifically permitted.' It only says 'specifically permitted'.

400.7 is exclusive. I see nothing in 400.7 that allows the use of flexible cords or cables in the manner the OP is asking about.

This is a very ambiguous topic. The best would be for the OP to request a plan approval from the AHJ before he starts the work.

K8MHZ, you are free to interpret how you like but I can tell you with certainty your take on it is not the one taken by most others. As far as I am concerned cords are not permitted to penetrate ceilings for any application other than temporary wiring.

If there are no tiles, only the grid, is there really a ceiling there to penetrate? I don't think so, the grid just becomes an architectural detail.

I agree with that, but it is something I would talk with the inspector about beforehand.

480sparky

That's true... for THIS tenant. I wouldn?t gamble that the building inspector, fire marshal, and electrical inspector all trust that usage in perpetuity...........

So are we to wire everything now so that any future occupancy changes will not affect the code compliance of our current installations?

Lemme know how you plan on doing that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I will agree if this is just a grid then my take would be it is okay. Somehow I was thinking the tiles were going back. I believe the intent is to not have the rubber cord concealed in the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.