Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Siemens Panel with Eaton Breakers

Siemens Panel with Eaton Breakers

Have you ever used another circuit breaker in the Panel with a different manufacturer?

However Siemens does not carry a GEFP or even a GFP breaker. Do you think a Eaton or Square D will fit in the panel will this void the UL approval?
    Last edited by Lady Engineer; 06-20-12 at 03:28 PM.
    Lady Engineer, P.E. (From NJ)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Engineer View Post
    Do you think a Eaton or Square D will fit in the panel?
    Schneider Electric does not condone the use of their breakers (i.e. Square D brand) in other manufacturers' panels, unless they were included in the original panel listing.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Quote Originally Posted by jim dungar View Post
    Schneider Electric does not condone the use of their breakers (i.e. Square D brand) in other manufacturers' panels, unless they were included in the original panel listing.
    Eaton/Cutler might correct? Siemens does not make GEFP breakers, only GFCI, but I have heat tracing. It's a small dilemma, but a dilemma.

What do you think?

I reviewed you post a couple of times and I didn't see any specifics but from the subject matter I would assume that you are refering to a 120/240 1ph3w load center with plug on breakers.
    These are the C-H classified breakers. please note that that if listed by UL, C-H classified breakers can be used in other manufacturer's panels. The OEM may object to it but it's on l because they don't want other manufacturers breakers used in their panels even tough those breakers have been UL listed as classified breakers.
    If the breaker(s) that you propose to use are not included on this chart you may be SOL.
    You may have to consider a sub panel from a manufacturer that has suitable breakers available.
    That's the neat part of our job, it is the process of solving problems. If it was easy to do it would require anybody sprecial.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Have you ever used another circuit breaker in the Panel with a different manufacturer?

However Siemens does not carry a GEFP or even a GFP breaker. Do you think a Eaton or Square D will fit in the panel will this void the UL approval?
    GEFP?
    Must be a new one on me...

16 GEFP Acronym Definitions
    By Rank / Alphabetical
    Georgia Education Finance Program
    Glinodo Earth Force Programme
    Glitter Egg Fluorescentffentliche Petition
    Global Endowments, Foundations & Pension
    Global Environment Facility Project
    Golden Eagle FlightPrep Provides
    Good Eats Fan Page
    Gouvernance des Entreprises Familiales et Patrimoniales
    Government Efficiency & Financial Planning
    Government Efficiency and Financial Planning
    Graduate Equity Fellowship Program
    Green Engineering Flood Plain
    Groupement des Enterprises Franches et Partenaires
    Groupement des Entreprises Franches & Partenaires
    Groupement des Entreprises Franches et Partenaires
    Grupo Español de Farmacia Pediátrica

Are you looking for ground fault breaker for a Siemens panelboard? Of course they make them. You must be searching using a term that they don't use.

But to answer your question, generally breaker manufacturers don't bother to go to the expense of listing their breakers to work in competitor's panels. The exception to that is residential commonplace breakers, just because the market is so large for them. but if it's anything remotely specialized that they can't sell a million of, they are not interested.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    "Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum."
    — Kilgore Trout (via Kurt Vonnegut)

Can you feed another manufacturers panel with a GFP breaker in it? We've had to tap the buss in some Siemens switchgear to feed another GFP breaker enclosure because they didn't make a 1600 amp GFP bucket to fit this existing gear.

I think it was UL that brought it up that a AFCI with a 30ma GFP is allowed to protect heat tracing cable and if I remember right most ITE AFCI's have a 30 ma GFP, one of the major electrical mags published this UL view.
    Wayne A. From: N.W.Indiana
    Be Fair, Be Safe
    Just don't be fairly safe

Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    GEFP?
    Must be a new one on me...

16 GEFP Acronym Definitions
    By Rank / Alphabetical
    Georgia Education Finance Program
    Glinodo Earth Force Programme
    Glitter Egg Fluorescentffentliche Petition
    Global Endowments, Foundations & Pension
    Global Environment Facility Project
    Golden Eagle FlightPrep Provides
    Good Eats Fan Page
    Gouvernance des Entreprises Familiales et Patrimoniales
    Government Efficiency & Financial Planning
    Government Efficiency and Financial Planning
    Graduate Equity Fellowship Program
    Green Engineering Flood Plain
    Groupement des Enterprises Franches et Partenaires
    Groupement des Entreprises Franches & Partenaires
    Groupement des Entreprises Franches et Partenaires
    Grupo Español de Farmacia Pediátrica

Are you looking for ground fault breaker for a Siemens panelboard? Of course they make them. You must be searching using a term that they don't use.

But to answer your question, generally breaker manufacturers don't bother to go to the expense of listing their breakers to work in competitor's panels. The exception to that is residential commonplace breakers, just because the market is so large for them. but if it's anything remotely specialized that they can't sell a million of, they are not interested.
    I think she ment GFEP "ground fault equipment protection" or class B which is no longer used so most just call them GFP or GFEP 30ma or 50 ma, instead of the 5ma for class A I don't think GFPs have been manufactured for a few years now, and its been common to use an AFCI in place as long as it has the GFP (30ma) in it.
    Wayne A. From: N.W.Indiana
    Be Fair, Be Safe
    Just don't be fairly safe

Quote Originally Posted by hurk27 View Post
    I think she ment GFEP "ground fault equipment protection" or class B which is no longer used so most just call them GFP or GFEP 30ma or 50 ma, instead of the 5ma for class A I don't think GFPs have been manufactured for a few years now, and its been common to use an AFCI in place as long as it has the GFP (30ma) in it.
    No, you are correct, it's a GFEP breaker sorry for the typo. The code requires GFEP for heat tracing. I designed the wiring for a cooling tower, and per NEC 427.22. The contract installed a GFCI breaker, and I want him to take it out, but Siemens does not make a 120V/ 20A 1P GFEP breaker like C-H and Square D.

Quote Originally Posted by hurk27 View Post
    Square D still has QO "EPD" breakers in current catalog. they are 30mA GFCI's and they even have "EPE" model in 3 pole units that are 100mA devices. http://mydigimag.rrd.com/publication/?i=84624

Last time I was interested in just a single pole "EPD" unit it was a lot less cost to use the protective device offered by same manufacturer as the heat trace equipment.