Fixtures in ceiling tile

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I am looking into using a LED fixture in a suspended ceiling.

The product is a low profile (wafer thin) LED fixture that has springs which grip and hold it in place. The J box is connected by a 24" lead and can be placed apart from the fixture.

Is there any violation in having the tile support the fixture?

The actual weight is less than half a pound.

The manufacturers instructions do not make any reference to ceiling type. It only says to cut a 6.25" diameter hole and insert the fixture.

The type of tile is standard residential grade .
Thanks

growler

That tile will sag over time even if there is no code issue with supporting it that way.

I wouldn't want to support anything from a ceiling tile.

For a residential ceiling and the fixture weighing less than 1/2 pound I would probably just back up the tile with 1/4 plywood (18" X 24" should do the job and not cost much). That should keep it rigid enough.

MAC702

I've seen speakers that weigh a lot more than that, supported by nothing more than the acoustic tile. Still perfect a decade later. You say residential grade, though. I didn't know there was a difference.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They may be referring to the very lightweight tiles that are basically stiff fiberglass insulation with a plastic veneer.

JFletcher

I think the closest you're going to get to a violation is 300.11 (a) 2. Or perhaps 410.11, though I thought all acoustical ceiling tiles had a 15 minute fire rating or Flash rating.

USG's website on their drywall states that drywall is not to be used to secure equipment, which would make installing all old work cans illegal. There may be a similar thing for drop tiles, whether or not is enforced or noticed is another matter.

kwired

Electron manager
I've seen speakers that weigh a lot more than that, supported by nothing more than the acoustic tile. Still perfect a decade later. You say residential grade, though. I didn't know there was a difference.

And I've seen smoke alarms that aren't all that heavy cause them to sag - mostly on residential grade tile - there are "commercial" tile that have higher fire rating that are much heavier, and maybe even a little more thickness, those may more easily hold such weight without sagging.

Status
Not open for further replies.