GFCI Breakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering if anyone ever used a 2 pole gfi breaker for a regular 2pole circuit? I needed a breaker for a 208 single phase cooktop and used a gfi 2 pole and just capped the neutral whip. Anyone do this before or see it being a safety hazard?

Jim

Jim

Was wondering if anyone ever used a 2 pole gfi breaker for a regular 2pole circuit? I needed a breaker for a 208 single phase cooktop and used a gfi 2 pole and just capped the neutral whip. Anyone do this before or see it being a safety hazard?

I have used 2 pole GFCI Breakers before, and because the type hot tub it was had to remove neutral from breaker or breaker would not reset. this was done as per manufactures requirements. But as posted before WHY a GFCI for a cooktop?
Jim:grin:

It was the only breaker I had! The amperage was right, just didn't have a regular 2pole so I hoped by taking the neutral off I could use it as a regular 2pole breaker!

stevenje

It was the only breaker I had! The amperage was right, just didn't have a regular 2pole so I hoped by taking the neutral off I could use it as a regular 2pole breaker!

Depending on the manufacture and style a GFCI 2-pole breaker is at least 15 times the cost of a standard 2-pole breaker. There goes the profit on that install! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.