Thread: GFE required?

GFE required?

A cabinet I am designing has a 2500A main CB.

The vender of the CB has quoted what appears to be a GFE sensor and trip device.

I don't see any requirement in the code to have a GFE except on the feeder coming into the cabinet. Is there some benefit to putting one on the main CB for this control panel as well?
    Bob

The load side of the feeder breaker feeds the line side of the panel disconnect? If so that would seem to be a waste of money to have them both GFP. If there are loads inbetween, then it might make sense for selective coordination.
    Don, Illinois
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." B Franklin

Many product selectors automatically add GFP to any device >1000A when the system is 480Y/277. You have to manually deselect the option.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Quote Originally Posted by jim dungar View Post
    Many product selectors automatically add GFP to any device >1000A when the system is 480Y/277. You have to manually deselect the option.
    That makes sense. That reminds me I need to find out from the end user just what kind of power we have there. It may not be grounded at all.

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    The load side of the feeder breaker feeds the line side of the panel disconnect? If so that would seem to be a waste of money to have them both GFP. If there are loads inbetween, then it might make sense for selective coordination.
    As far as I know there are none.
    Bob