Arc Fault breakers for lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I have heard that some lighting on bedroom circuits have caused them to trip. I try to keep them on a separate circuit, but it isn't cost effective. I had also heard there were attempts to make all circuits on Arc Fault? Are there certain lights that cause the arc faults to trip ?

Cavie

I have heard that some lighting on bedroom circuits have caused them to trip. I try to keep them on a separate circuit, but it isn't cost effective. I had also heard there were attempts to make all circuits on Arc Fault? Are there certain lights that cause the arc faults to trip ?

arc faults ARE required on the majority of RESI circuits weather lighting or recepticals.
The idea of seperating lights and recepticals comes from commercial guys doing resi work. There is nothing in the NEC about seperating them. You are correct it is not cost effective. Start in the rear of the house and work your way to the panel. Most used 10 outlets on a circuit ( another grande dads tale unless a local code).

powerplay

I prefer to leave lighting on separate circuits because it's more likely to be a known amount of power drawn that doesn't leave someone to trip in the dark to find a panel when they plug a heater into an receptacle and blow the circuit.

I had heard from another electrician that they had to run a separate line to an bedroom circuit through a few townhouses because it continued to trip. Is it possible a certain brand of Arc Faults is more sensitive to perhaps CFL's, electronic or magnetic ballasts? ...or possibly more sensitive to a bit of a nick in the cable when stripping into the box... loose connector? I hope to wire it on the bedroom circuit, but will leave it separate if in doubt, as I don't want issues on this custom home. PS. I am in Canada, so the requirement is only to put bedroom circuits on Arc fault breakers.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
A lot of times, it's a neutral to ground issue, a lot of arc fault breakers, just like GFI ones will trip if the neutral and ground are touching or making intermittent contact somewhere on the load side of the breaker. I have heard that some of the cheaper light fixtures and can lights inadvertantly cause this connection due to faulty socket design.

powerplay

If that's the case, I sould be safe to wire it under an arc fault, because a leakage current to ground would be an fixture that shouldn't be approved? Is it required to put most circuits under arc faults in America? It sounds liek residential is more commonly wired with bedroom lights on arc fault breakers?

Drake5265

Sometimes even the littlest nick in the insulation can cause a trip. Some Arc Fault circuit breakers are more sensitive than others.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
If that's the case, I sould be safe to wire it under an arc fault, because a leakage current to ground would be an fixture that shouldn't be approved? Is it required to put most circuits under arc faults in America? It sounds liek residential is more commonly wired with bedroom lights on arc fault breakers?

It's not just "commonly wired" - it's been a requirement to put the lights and smokes in a bedroom on an AFCI since the AFCI requirements began in 2002. The requirement pertains to outlets, not just receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.