Three phase equipment Single phase power v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
A GEC would not need to be run with circuit conductors. But an EGC is still needed with the feeder.
I recall a time when EGC's were not required for underground feeders. Don't recall the details surrounding the "allowance". Perhaps a grounded conductor was required. So the feeder may have been to code when installed.

Running a GEC, though technically not an EGC, would accomplish the same purpose and then some, since it would be larger.

kwired

Electron manager
I recall a time when EGC's were not required for underground feeders. Don't recall the details surrounding the "allowance". Perhaps a grounded conductor was required. So the feeder may have been to code when installed.

Running a GEC, though technically not an EGC, would accomplish the same purpose and then some, since it would be larger.

To be a GEC wouldn't it have to land on an electrode eventually or have taps to electrodes? If it just runs to the source of the feeder it is not a GEC it is an EGC.

Size doesn't matter;) as long as it meets 250.122 minimum. You could run 500 KCMIL EGC for a 12 AWG branch circuit if you wish. Maybe you just have it laying around and want to use it:grin:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
To be a GEC wouldn't it have to land on an electrode eventually or have taps to electrodes? If it just runs to the source of the feeder it is not a GEC it is an EGC.
The transformer-being-fed's secondary is required to have a GES. Tying that GES to the primary's source GES is not prohibited. Granted, it cannot be done in the manner of running an EGC. It must meet the requirements of a GEC or a bonding jumper.

Size doesn't matter;) as long as it meets 250.122 minimum. You could run 500 KCMIL EGC for a 12 AWG branch circuit if you wish. Maybe you just have it laying around and want to use it:grin:
Size does matter. GEC's and bonding jumpers not sized per 250.122... but you are correct in the size must be at the very least as large as 250.122.

kwired

Electron manager
The transformer-being-fed's secondary is required to have a GES. Tying that GES to the primary's source GES is not prohibited. Granted, it cannot be done in the manner of running an EGC. It must meet the requirements of a GEC or a bonding jumper.

I guess I answered they way I did about the possibility of GEC not being required to be run with the circuit conductors - especially to the source of the feeder because the OP said in post 15:
Feeder is 3-#4/0 in buried PVC conduit 1200' long.
I assume this means feeding a separate building or structure and a GEC would be required but would be run to an electrode located at the separate structure.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician

I remember that too. Caused me some confusion. Early to mid 90's?? That was in my apprentice days.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I guess I answered they way I did about the possibility of GEC not being required to be run with the circuit conductors - especially to the source of the feeder because the OP said in post 15:

I assume this means feeding a separate building or structure and a GEC would be required but would be run to an electrode located at the separate structure.
True... but there is no prohibition from running the same or another GEC, or bonding jumper, to the source's GES.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.