NEC 620.51(A) Platform Lift Exception

Status
Not open for further replies.

leboot

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So, I'm looking at 2014 NEC 620.51(A) for a wheelchair/platform lift and it says the disconnecting means shall be "an enclosed externally operable fused motor circuit switch or circuit breaker that is lockable open in accordance with 110.25." Then there's an exception for platform lifts that the disconnecting means shall be permitted to comply with 430.109(C) which allows (for motors 2HP and less/300V and less):

1. General Use Switch
2. AC Circuit general use snap switch
3. Listed manual motor controller

My question is, why wouldn't a non-fused safety switch be acceptable?

Thanks in advance for any input!

leboot

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So now I'm looking at 404.13(C) General Use Switches. Knife switches of ratings less than specified in 404.13(A)&(B) (which are larger ratings) shall be considered general-use switches.

This answers my question, right?

Thanks!

david

i see the benefit of having the over current protection local to the lift location.

When a platform form lift is being used for its intended purpose with an electric wheel chair, the person using the lift is stuck until the breaker is reset or the fuse is replaced. having it local would cut the down time a bit.

Most platform lifts do have a hand crank that most users of the wheel chair cannot use. Your'e kind of stuck until someone
assist you.

Status
Not open for further replies.