Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Jaw Meter?

5 Jaw Meter?

The Energy Trust Of Oregon requires any pv system that has batteries attached to have a 5 jaw meter. I can find the socket but not the meter. Has anyone seen any of these for sale?

Welcome to the Forum. Won't the meter be supplied by your POCO?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestPV View Post
    The Energy Trust Of Oregon requires any pv system that has batteries attached to have a 5 jaw meter. I can find the socket but not the meter. Has anyone seen any of these for sale?
    The 5 jaw meter will be a 12S meter. Usually reserved for single phase services fed from a three phase bank. Why isn't the POCO supplying one?
    Last edited by Hv&Lv; 06-23-12 at 04:33 PM.

I'm assuming the meter is required for RECs or something similar, and is distinct from the service (net)meter.

What I don't understand is why batteries make any difference to the type of meter required. Just curious if anyone knows why.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    I'm assuming the meter is required for RECs or something similar, and is distinct from the service (net)meter.

What I don't understand is why batteries make any difference to the type of meter required. Just curious if anyone knows why.
    This is actually an advantage to the PV generator owner.With a simple kWh meter, the currents are sensed with one sensor around the two legs going to load. The inverter will supply the backup loads during the day, along with exporting some energy, but with the currents going in two directions, the meter will slow or stand still and not read true production.

With a 12S meter, there are two current sensors around each 120 volt leg. This way the energy used by the backup that is produced by the generator is counted as production also.
    I still don't understand why the POCO won't sell them one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hv&Lv View Post
    The 5 jaw meter will be a 12S meter. Usually reserved for single phase services fed from a three phase bank. Why isn't the POCO supplying one?
    Or grounded B delta
    Wayne A. From: N.W.Indiana
    Be Fair, Be Safe
    Just don't be fairly safe

It's a customer owned Watt Hour Meter

It appears that a 5 jaw meter, which is a 12S, is for a 3 Phase application. This will be installed in a single phase home. In Oregon the POCO replaces their meter with a net meter. Then we are required to install another customer owned watt hour meter in addition. I'm not sure what difference the batteries make.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestPV View Post
    It appears that a 5 jaw meter, which is a 12S, is for a 3 Phase application. This will be installed in a single phase home. In Oregon the POCO replaces their meter with a net meter. Then we are required to install another customer owned watt hour meter in addition. I'm not sure what difference the batteries make.
    The 12S can be used for single phase and three phase applications. As for the batteries, I hope I explained it in post 6
    Your last post explained alot. (at least to me)
    The net metering will not register all the energy produced because of the batteries explained in post 6. It will work for the POCO, but not to record and sell REC's. In order to claim credit for ALL the energy produced, you need a form 12S
    Last edited by Hv&Lv; 06-24-12 at 12:56 PM.