Budget SWAG allowance for new Overhead Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing a preliminary cost analysis for a Municipal Water client who needs to have utility extend 3-phase MV primary (12.47kV) approx 1/2 mile as part of a new designproject. The serving POCO won't even give wild-approximations for what this might cost. Our new load is nothing huge (well less than 100HP) so current & conductor sizes would almost be negligible @ 12.47kV. Construction site is rural Illinois, so it is very flat with no tree or obstruction issues. I've heard ball-park figures anywhere from $75k to $500k. Our construction cost-estimating books don't get into this kind of stuff unless I want to break out a specific number of poles, crossarms, conductor type & gauge, etc., etc.

I'm just looking for a way to get a reasonable allowance into the budget.

Any reasonable approximations out there???

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Dennis is right.

I've seen overhead to underground conversion on residences go from $900 to $6000. All depends on what the POCO has to do or what they think they have to do. Anyone's guess would be a pure shot in the dark.

Here they'll write up a (contract) estimate and it has to be paid in full before the job starts.

cdslotz

The serving POCO won't even give wild-approximations for what this might cost.

So why do you feel obligated to? It's not even the business you are in.
The POCO never has an estimate done until the job goes to engineering. The job never goes to engineering until the owner applies for service.
I always exclude such cost, even though the documents tell me to include them.
Even if the POCO had a firm estimate that I could include, the owner would never pay the 20% I put on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.