Is this EMT fitting still available anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David40

I remember back in the 50's when my father started me as a helper at the tender age of 8 years old there was a special fitting we used for conduit when we had two immovable panels right next to each other and had to get a piece of EMT between them. There was a special connector that was in two pieces and the one half you would insert from the inside of the panel. I don't even remember what is was called but it sure was a handy item for that type of situation. Can't ask my dad about it, he passed away years ago. I was just curious if anyone ever saw one of those and knows if anyone still makes them?
Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Not sure of the fitting but you could use a rigid coupling on the end of a connector and chase nipple in the panel.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There was a special connector that was in two pieces and the one half you would insert from the inside of the panel. Thanks

Crouse Hinds makes a "Space Saver" EMT connector that installs that way but I think they only go up to 1"

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
I seem to recall a thread about this but can't remember how long ago.

I think someone pointed out that they are still made but don't remember what the name of the fitting is.

Maybe try looking at some of the major brand names of fittings websites RACO, TB, Bridgeport

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Here is a 'space saver' from Crouse Hinds

CCH_CP_EMTSSBCSpaceSaver_110.jpg

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I recall the same type of fittng the OP mentions. I have not used them for some time, they are OK, but the edges are sharp. The Crouse Hinds fitting looks better.

maghazadeh

I have not used them for a long time. We called them 2 piece connector.
one piece was just like a short nipple and the other piece was the nut portion of a comp. type connector.

Okie Sparky

I have not used them for a long time. We called them 2 piece connector.
one piece was just like a short nipple and the other piece was the nut portion of a comp. type connector.

I would say the piece that goes inside the box is more like a chase nipple and yes the other portion is like a nut on a comp. conn. We also call them 2-piece connectors around here. I bought some for a job where I installed EMT in wood studs 6-8 years ago. You'll probably have to have your local supply house order them for you. Try T&B Catalog #TC-201-SC

David40

Cool. Thanks for all the replies. Nice to know stuff like that is still available. Obviously there are a number of work arounds. Since PVC is so much less expensive than metal I rarely use EMT anymore, and with PVC, a coupling and a box adapter, ( I call them a "top hat") does the trick in a tight situation.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
APLTONC00003_TW1_2_TR_005.jpg

I think this is what the OP was talking about. Yes, they are still made.

I like the look of those Crouse Hinds fittings. Wish I could buy some. They even got "Product of the Year" some time back in EC&M, but I have never seen one in real life.

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I've seen 'em on the supply house counter a couple years ago, but I haven't seen them since. Must not of taken off...

David40

Holy cow, that's the one we used. That's been around since the days when I was the soldering boy where I was responsible for soldering and taping all the splices. That's before wirenuts were invented.

Status
Not open for further replies.