Open Neutrals; Hey that's ME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Interesting article, except the writer has no clue about subject research. I'm not even sure how this is plausible. Around here the drops have a steel core inside of the aluminum.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
OK, I like your term strand. Still will keep the squirrels from biting through.

You've led a sheltered life. Squirrels will easily chew through chicken wire if they think there's something tasty on the other side.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
OK, I like your term strand. Still will keep the squirrels from biting through.

When tree rats eat the AL and only the steel strand is holding the triplex up, the AL strands pull back and get all bunched up at that end. The linesmen call the mess a squirrel's nest. Somewhere in my collection I have a couple good pics of a squirrel's nest I found at a friend's house.

mivey

You've led a sheltered life. Squirrels will easily chew through chicken wire if they think there's something tasty on the other side.
My wire strippers will easily cut through chicken wire. I would get a much different result with TPX. Apples and oranges.

mivey

Too bad, poor squirrles. Isn't there a plastic sleeve that POCO can install over

the service drop? I think that the plastic makes the wire to slick to hold on.
Stinky goo seems to work sometimes. Smells like a very strong pesticide or herbicide (ever get Poast on your hands, or smell Malathion?...this is much stronger). Also used in woodpecker hole filler, pole paint, and in padmounts.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
Too bad, poor squirrles. Isn't there a plastic sleeve that POCO can install over the service drop? I think that the plastic makes the wire to slick to hold on.

Ask any telco person....squirrels love plastic stuph. They used to eat the protective boots around "ready-access" boxes on outside plant cable runs; and then piss in them. Instant corrosion.

They have claws that let them climb walls; what's "too slick" to them?

3M built those new hard plastic splice housings {they look like torpedoes...} and ISTM I read about their efforts to make them taste bad.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Had some work done on the house so I had the ladder out. Took a look at the drop from the pole and found this. They had eaten through 3 of the 7 strands. POCO is coming out to fix it today.

2011-06-08_10-28-42_518.jpg

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Stinky goo seems to work sometimes. Smells like a very strong pesticide or herbicide (ever get Poast on your hands, or smell Malathion?...this is much stronger). Also used in woodpecker hole filler, pole paint, and in padmounts.

mivey what is stinkey goo ... where do you get it.
I have a major squirrel issue here. .:rant:

mivey

mivey what is stinkey goo ... where do you get it.
I have a major squirrel issue here. .:rant:
I said stinky goo because I can't remember the name of the stuff. One issue is that our supplier requires you to buy a bunch of it (utility quantities). I'll see what they have in smaller quantities.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I said stinky goo because I can't remember the name of the stuff. One issue is that our supplier requires you to buy a bunch of it (utility quantities). I'll see what they have in smaller quantities.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.