Why peopl get confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Energy is energy. It takes the same amount to do same work at either voltage.

Installation costs may be different but operation costs are same.

Small pool pumps are not going to be much different. How much more copper will be needed for a 100HP motor operating at 240 volts vs 480? How much bigger will switches and controllers need to be? Energy cost will be same.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Likely a marketing tool to sell you a more expensive pump. There is an e-mail link at the bottom. Maybe someone will send them one. :)

Npstewart

I have to agree with the pool people....IF the utility meter measured amps, which it doesen't.

The last time I checked, the utility company meters measure Kilowatt-hours..

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Small pool pumps are not going to be much different. How much more copper will be needed for a 100HP motor operating at 240 volts vs 480? How much bigger will switches and controllers need to be? Energy cost will be same.
A lot more copper for 240 vs 480 for a 100 hp motor.
Actually for 480 the switches are controllers are smaller. Above 25 hp is more cost effective to go with 480 as the gear is smaller, with the trade off the breakers are more expensive.

And don't forget I squared R, that the resistance is the same but the current is a squared function, IE higher voltage,
same resistance, lower current, lower voltage drop.

stevebea

Check out this pool web site that claims you save money by wiring a pump to 220 vs 120. Aside from small VD issues we all know its flase however site like this still propogate this either by choice or ignorance. Look 3/4 the way down on the "Go Green" Ad

http://www.arthurspools.com/abovegroundpools/winchesterabovegroundpools.htm

Hey, if we weren't in this trade that it would be very believable right? :roll: Alot of people out of ignorance will believe it is so.

Strife

Well...
The advertising is only half misleading.
1: it doesn't say pay half energy costs. it says: "use half the amps, pay half the price". Considering most motors on 120/240 can be wired 120/240 can be wired on either 120 or 240, as a professional I know that means installation costs (with copper prices, 20A VS 40A can be a few dollars). But sure, most (unprofessional people) will think it saves them KW.
2: The green thing can be construed same way. You use smaller conduit size (less PVC?) smaller wire size (less copper? less PVC insulation?)
So all in all, it's half misleading. Brings to memory those "T5 retrofits for 400W MH" I know, I'm asking for it.

Check out this pool web site that claims you save money by wiring a pump to 220 vs 120. Aside from small VD issues we all know its flase however site like this still propogate this either by choice or ignorance. Look 3/4 the way down on the "Go Green" Ad

http://www.arthurspools.com/abovegroundpools/winchesterabovegroundpools.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.