When an "eRoom" is required

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to determine what our options are for adding additional power capacity to our business property. We had an electrician out about two years ago, and he mentioned that any panel or individual service "over ___hundred amps requires an eRoom". He described this as a room which houses additional electrical equipment required for larger amperage services; and he explained that the cost goes up dramatically once you pass that threshold of service. However, I can't remember what the number was, though I think it was 600 Amps...??

Does any of this sound familiar? Also, could anyone venture a guess at what that number might be? Lastly, could you give me further details on what an eRoom contains as well as possible rough cost of building one?

Additional Information: We currently have a Single-Phase 600 amp main panel, with 3x 200 amps sub-panels. We're hoping to replace/upgrade the panel to as high as we can go (possibly as high as 800 or 1000 amps) without having to build said "eRoom". Three-phase isn't an option in our area without upwards of a $100K investment. If we can't upgrade the existing service any further, we'll consider pulling a second service to the property to avoid the eRoom investment; just trying to weigh all of our options before we call in the professionals.

Thanks everyone!

JFletcher

As far as I know, you cannot have two services of the same voltage to one building. What is your calculated or actual load now? Just because you have three two hundred amp sub-panels doesn't necessarily mean you couldn't add another one or two or even 6 more.

The requirements for an electrical room may vary dramatically depending on structure and building codes at your location. No way to give a price based on what you have provided. And no way to know if the service needs upgrading without a load calculation.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
As far as I know, you cannot have two services of the same voltage to one building. What is your calculated or actual load now? Just because you have three two hundred amp sub-panels doesn't necessarily mean you couldn't add another one or two or even 6 more.

The requirements for an electrical room may vary dramatically depending on structure and building codes at your location. No way to give a price based on what you have provided. And no way to know if the service needs upgrading without a load calculation.

You can have multiple services of the same voltage if the utility can only supply a certain sized service at the voltage you want and you need more.

230.2 Number of Services. A building or other structure
served shall be supplied by only one service unless permitted in
230.2(A) through (D).
(C) Capacity Requirements. Additional services shall be
permitted under any of the following:
(2) Where the load requirements of a single-phase installation
are greater than the serving agency normally
supplies through one service

I agree with your suggestion that they do a load calculation first though.

I don't recall a rule in the code that requires an electrical room for a certain size service EXCEPT that there are some requirements for larger services that might make a electrical room appropriate.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I have a cabinet shop as a service customer, and they were somehow able to get the utility to provide two services; a 208Y/120 and a 480Y/277.

I think most likely they moved into an existing building with the 208Y service and added the 480Y service afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have a cabinet shop as a service customer, and they were somehow able to get the utility to provide two services; a 208Y/120 and a 480Y/277.
That is not a problem at all. The two voltage systems are different, so separate services are allowed.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
That is not a problem at all. The two voltage systems are different, so separate services are allowed.

Oh ok.... so that rule applies only if the same voltage unless the exception for capacity is met ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.