• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
The List said:
13. There should be a setting in the User CP to "Mark All Forums Read" upon session timeout.

Joe said:
This is not something we could add.

I agree with Joe, it could not be added as far as I know. However, there is a setting to change this back to the way it was.

Right now, every thread you fail to look at remains unread for ten days, and shows up in the "What's New" search. The forum still notices that you are not online after you leave, but it doesn't care, it holds your spot.

Edit to add: Bear in mind, the "session timeout" time, the amount of time you are offline before the forum assumes you have left, can be easily changed.

Edit x 2: Should this be opened up to everyone to be voted on?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My opinion is that the mods may look at the forum differently then the others. In fact we look at it differently then each other so I would be in favor of a poll to the members.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I didn't vote because I don't see a choice that suites my preference. The only threads I want marked as read are the ones I have read and have not had any newer posts.

I don't even use What's New because I often review threads that I have already read or posted to, which What's New does not show. I use the advanced Search Single Content Type coupled with the Save Search Preferences option to list threads I have posted to, and use a "favorites" bookmark to call up threads listed in order of last post time, and threads are marked read and not appropriately:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/search.php?do=getdaily

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
The only threads I want marked as read are the ones I have read and have not had any newer posts.
Then you should select "I've gotten used to it, leave it be." If the only threads you want marked as read you've actually clicked on, then the current setting is your preference. :)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
A little off topic, but I'm curious about something. When a poll is first opened, that is, before you cast your vote, a disclaimer says "this is a public forum, others can see what you post/vote/ or similar words. How is it that you can see how others voted? I'm not wanting to, but I don't see how that is. I can't see anything but the results.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Bill go up to the number of people who voted and click on the number-- you will see who voted for that choice.

Rick Christopherson

Making all posts read after a session timeout was one of the most frustrating things about this forum. I would hate to see it come back. For one, the timeout length was way too short. When viewing a list of "Today's Posts" that was several pages long, by the time you get to the last page, they would be marked as read. If you made a posting on a topic, the rest of the board would get marked as read.

Having a thread/forum be marked as read is not a big deal by itself, except it also takes away some features at the same time. Namely there is no longer a button to jump to the first new post of a long-running thread.

cadpoint

I've read here the same way ever since I've gotton here, I read today's post's.

I only recently noted the change that the new style of the forum presented.

The fact that there are individual threads out that I've never read there sitting in various subject was amazing to me, frankly I was nearly giddie.

It's frankly refreshing to know that logging out didn't mark "everything read"!

:cool::roll:;):)

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I regularly enter and leave the forum as well as encounter time outs, so any automatic 'mark it read' feature is frustrating.

I have gotten into the habit of using the manual 'mark forum read' menu item, when I am finished with my session and am ready to start a new one.

Volta

I agree with Joe, it could not be added as far as I know. However, there is a setting to change this back to the way it was.

Right now, every thread you fail to look at remains unread for ten days, and shows up in the "What's New" search. The forum still notices that you are not online after you leave, but it doesn't care, it holds your spot.

Edit to add: Bear in mind, the "session timeout" time, the amount of time you are offline before the forum assumes you have left, can be easily changed.

Edit x 2: Should this be opened up to everyone to be voted on?

How do I adjust that? I use firefox, and this forum logs me out too fast, seems like 20 minutes or so. Now it doesn't happen with IE, so maybe it is a browser setting, but I haven't been able to figure this one out.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
How do I adjust that? I use firefox, and this forum logs me out too fast, seems like 20 minutes or so. Now it doesn't happen with IE, so maybe it is a browser setting, but I haven't been able to figure this one out.

The browser setting is different from the forum setting. Usually when you log in the browser will ask "remember me" If you click that box you will be always log in. I never have to sign in unless I clear all passwords etc in my browser cache.

Volta

The browser setting is different from the forum setting. Usually when you log in the browser will ask "remember me" If you click that box you will be always log in. I never have to sign in unless I clear all passwords etc in my browser cache.

Yeah, I think that my work computer's Firefox keeps me logged in, but not my home desktop, unless IE. Must be a browser setting I haven't found yet.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Make sure both browsers are accepting cookies from forums.mikeholt.com.

The timeout change is forum-wide, not per user. I can change it for everyone at once. How much time do you think is good?

Volta

Make sure both browsers are accepting cookies from forums.mikeholt.com.

The timeout change is forum-wide, not per user. I can change it for everyone at once. How much time do you think is good?

Me, personally? I'm with Dennis on that. Forever.

I don't worry much that someone will sneak in and impersonate me. Should I? :eek:hmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.