Thread: Siemens Pnlbds

Siemens Pnlbds

What's your opinion of Siemens gear?

Personally I don't like it. Have a project where I speced Cutler Hammer/Westinghouse, GE, or Square D - only. Contractor sends in Siemens shop drawings - I rejected without review. They are having a fit! Cost's too much for the others. I don't consider Siemens to be as good as the other three, guess you get what you pay for. I say, tough, read the specs.

RC
    It's my name going on that drawing, not yours. If what you want ain't right, it ain't going on the drawings!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    I don't consider Siemens to be as good as the other three
    Based on what?

Based on what? And what sort of "gear" are you talking about?

Personally I don't like it. Have a project where I speced Cutler Hammer/Westinghouse, GE, or Square D - only. Contractor sends in Siemens shop drawings - I rejected without review. They are having a fit! Cost's too much for the others. I don't consider Siemens to be as good as the other three, guess you get what you pay for. I say, tough, read the specs.

RC
    Are you the specifying engineer?
    If so, you have every right to spec all manufacturers, or only one.
    I don't think Siemens functionally, is any better or worse than others.
    Why do you? It doesn't sound like you know why you don't like Siemens, or you wouldn't be asking us.

RC
    This attitude unfortunately is what promotes the idea the the guy who wrote the specs has a financial interest in the brands he specs.
    I would be interested to see what you are basing your dislike.
    Those who can do, those who can't teach

I certainly don't have a financial "interest" in any of the vendors.

My experience with Siemens has been that it's often low bidder and I see it as lower in quality compared to the others. You get what you pay for does enter into the equation.

It also tends to be larger and take up more space. Often we are limited in space for many projects, especially apartment complexes, and Siemens size becomes a big issue.

Several electricians that bid and won on several of my projects prefer Square D over the lot and had issues with Siemens in the past.

Just my opinion.

RC
    It's my name going on that drawing, not yours. If what you want ain't right, it ain't going on the drawings!

I certainly don't have a financial "interest" in any of the vendors.

My experience with Siemens has been that it's often low bidder and I see it as lower in quality compared to the others. You get what you pay for does enter into the equation.

It also tends to be larger and take up more space. Often we are limited in space for many projects, especially apartment complexes, and Siemens size becomes a big issue.

Several electricians that bid and won on several of my projects prefer Square D over the lot and had issues with Siemens in the past.

Just my opinion.

RC
    All must past the UL requirements and as such they must play by the same rules.

Re. they are larger and take up more space. If so be more specific with your spec by including the pecific dimensions of each panels and any other unique design feature that the favored manufacturer may have that Siemens can not provide.

Again, remember that they all must be UL lised so in that regard there is no difference. It's the person who actuall foots the bill that would be a deciding factor to whose panels are to be accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by templdl View Post
    If so be more specific with your spec by including the pecific dimensions of each panels and any other unique design feature that the favored manufacturer may have that Siemens can not provide.
    Why?

The OP said his spec listed the acceptable manufacturers. End of story, he has the right to reject items that are 'not per spec'.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Quote Originally Posted by jim dungar View Post
    Why?

The OP said his spec listed the acceptable manufacturers. End of story, he has the right to reject items that are 'not per spec'.
    Yes, I have read many specs and submitted many proposals and personally have not quoted some because of this issue as I didn't need the practice knowing that my proposal would not be considered. What I did do is to see if they would accept and consider an alternate quote for my product which happened to be Westinghouse when it was available and the subsequent Eaton-Cutler-Hammer product. On very few cases I was successful as I had a time at bat.
    But one must realize that at the same time your quote may be used against you by keeping your competitor’s prices in line and you still loosing the business anyway.

The one thing that must be seriously considered is if there is an installed base already and it would be unreasonable to assume that the buyer would want a mishmash of different manufacturer’s product.