Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exothermic welding issues

that craps old school, we dont use it anymore for all those reasons, we only use crimp lugs, hell on most of our jobs its not even allowed in the spec book.

I switched over to the Cad Weld plus, its a sealed unit with electric ignition. The shot cost is the same. I sent my old shots back and I got credit for them. The CAD weld plus is much safer.

On another note, the shot material in CAD weld was used in WWII called a thermite bomb to burn thru concrete. I know an electrician who cad welded a one million copper to rebar for a nuclear power plant. they tied the ignitor to a 2x4 and stood way back.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

UPDATE: Using sparklers

I got some sparklers from the fireworks tents this week, and they work GREAT in getting the exothermic welds going!

I just stuck the tip of the sparkler into the mold slot, and lit the back end.

Then just stand back, and watch it like a slow fuse burning its way to the mold.

Then WHOOSH! It lights the stuf, and the exothermic reaction takes place welding my ground wire(s) to the ground rod.

Quote Originally Posted by copper chopper View Post
    that craps old school, we dont use it anymore for all those reasons, we only use crimp lugs, hell on most of our jobs its not even allowed in the spec book.
    We use it for every underground connection in a substation for our grounding grid. Most POCO's do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    I switched over to the Cad Weld plus, its a sealed unit with electric ignition. The shot cost is the same. I sent my old shots back and I got credit for them. The CAD weld plus is much safer.

On another note, the shot material in CAD weld was used in WWII called a thermite bomb to burn thru concrete. I know an electrician who cad welded a one million copper to rebar for a nuclear power plant. they tied the ignitor to a 2x4 and stood way back.

Cad plus is the only way to go. Just make sure you have extra batteries and leads for the electronic igniter.
    Last edited by twoelk; 06-30-12 at 06:39 PM.