flexible cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

Where in art 400, or anywher else, does the NEC tell us that if an so cord suspended from a ceiling enters a box with a receptacle, That the box must be of a certain type? I'm pretty sure it's somewhere. I can't put my finger on it. Help is much appreciated.:)

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
314.23(H)(1) is a bit confusing for me.

The box has to have a threaded hub with a strain relief?
Or one can use a regular 4s box with a strain relief?
Or a regular 4s box with a field installed hub and a strain relief?

Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
314.23(H)(1) is a bit confusing for me.

The box has to have a threaded hub with a strain relief?
Or one can use a regular 4s box with a strain relief?
Or a regular 4s box with a field installed hub and a strain relief?

Thanks.

It's pretty clear-- strain relief connector into a box with a hub-- 4" sq. will not do.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
314.23(H)(1)
Flexible Cords: A box shall be supported from ..........conductors against strain, such as strain relief connector threaded into a box with a hub.

Isn't the word "such as" like giving an example of something?

I think this section is talking about taking strain off of the cable, so installing a strain relief will do that task. But why does the box matter?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
314.23(H)(1)
Flexible Cords: A box shall be supported from ..........conductors against strain, such as strain relief connector threaded into a box with a hub.

Isn't the word "such as" like giving an example of something?

I think this section is talking about taking strain off of the cable, so installing a strain relief will do that task. But why does the box matter?

4 sq box isn't threaded for the hub.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That articles use of "such as" is referring to the strain relief connector. There must be some kind of strain relief but the box must have a hub. I guess the durability of the box with the weight of some cords is at issue here.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I guess the local inspectors are not aware of this article. Because i see many of these installation with 4s boxes and strain reliefs.

iwire

Staff member
For what it is worth using a standard weatherproof box with a threaded hub does not cut it either as that is not listed to be supported by one hub.

You need a true 'Pendent Box' (Woodhead sells them) or a steel FS, FD box made for being supported from the hub if you want to comply with 110.3(B).

Status
Not open for further replies.