20A breaker feeding "dedicated" 15A rated duplex in Electrified Furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.

neity

Yesterday, I got outranked on this issue :rant:, and I don't get mad when this happens, I get the right answer so I can at least know that I was right! And rub it in their face later too . Anyway

If you have electrified furniture, with the some circuits (wiring is 2+2 with #10N) being "dedicated" it is still ok to give it a 20A breaker (instead of a 15A) because it is a DUPLEX RECEPTACLE. Dedicated, in the code (I forget the section), would mean it would have to be a simplex (single) receptacle.

So am I right or what?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A 15 amp duplex is permitted on a 20 amp branch circuit. Take a look at 210.21(B)(2).

iwire

Staff member
I agree with Rob but at the same time we must take into the labeling on the furniture. Make sure it does not say 15 amp max.

neity

Yes, and a duplex is two receptacles.

BUT, the equipment labeling would still have to be followed if for any reason it says 15 amp max.

only the "snap in" receptacle device itself is labeled as 15A. The bus it rides in is at least 20.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
only the "snap in" receptacle device itself is labeled as 15A. The bus it rides in is at least 20.

Then you're fine with one or more duplex receptacles per circuit. For this particular section as Bob said the duplex is considered two receptacles.

neity

Then you're fine with one or more duplex receptacles per circuit. For this particular section as Bob said the duplex is considered two receptacles.

Thanks guys! I knew I was right, I just didn't know why....

Everyone is always so helpful here.

Status
Not open for further replies.