GFCI & Dock Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeguy

There have been a few instances in my area where animals and people have been electrocuted (in the water) due to faulty dock wiring. i'm a DIY with fair knowledge of electrical, but want to confirm this can never happen to my family. My dogs and family regularly swim near our dock.

I have a 120v 20 amp circuit running to my dock via UF from the house. On the dock, i have one GFCI protected outlet and 4 lights with switch back in my home. (UF is 4 wire)

My question is whether that is enough to ensure proper protection for swimmers next to the dock or should i consider a GFCI "Breaker" in the main panel as well?

Thanks in advance

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If it were me I would GFCI protect all the wiring to the dock starting at the panel, with that said, the forum rules do not allow us to assist DIYers so I must close the thread.

This site is designed for:

• Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I will open the thread only long enough to add that the source of a shock in the water could come from other equipment than your own. Anyone with access to the water could have a boat launch, or lighting on a dock, or other electrical equipment. It is possible for any of this equipment to create a shock hazard that can manifest itself in areas far away from the source. I would suggest getting together with your neighbors and determining whether a safety concern exists for any of you.

That said, I will now reclose the thread.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
OK this is mod #3. A recent change in the National Electrical Code requires posting a sign at docks were AC power is present, Danger Electrocution Hazard No Swimming. Fresh water is far more dangerous than salt water for electrocutions.
There is a lot of information about electrical shock and water, try Google for information. And Charlie is correct, the voltage can be from a neighbors faultly wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.