Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Proposals by one person

Most Proposals by one person

I have reading thru the proposals for the 2014 NEC and it sure looks like "James F. Williams, Fairmont, WV"
    has the most proposals. He wanted to add the abbreviations for all the different wiring methods thruout the NEC, such as EMT, RMC. For what I can see they were all rejected.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

There were over one thousand less proposals this cycle compared to the last. this is mainly due to Dan Leaf not submitting any (he turned in over one thousand last time!). I had about 80 or so written, typed, substantiated, and signed, yet NFPA didn't recieve them.
    Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City
    Inspector, Instructor

Now that you mention it, the mysterious Dan Leaf is not present. Sorry about your proposals. 80 is a lot to not have in.
    Ancora Imparo

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_618 View Post
    There were over one thousand less proposals this cycle compared to the last. this is mainly due to Dan Leaf not submitting any (he turned in over one thousand last time!). I had about 80 or so written, typed, substantiated, and signed, yet NFPA didn't recieve them.
    That seems so odd, did he get upset and bail out?

I mean to go from 1000 to 0 in one code cycle is kind of drastic.

And that stinks about your stuff getting lost. Being as close to RI as I am I immediately thought something dishonest happened to your proposals.
    Last edited by iwire; 06-28-12 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_618 View Post
    I noticed that 5 or 6 of mine were never received and 4 or 5 are duplicates-- I know I sent in the duplicates but don't know what happened to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    That seems so odd, did he get upset and bail out?

I mean to go from 1000 to 0 in one code cycle is kind of drastic.
    Well, maybe he was rejected almost as much as I am. I don't think I had one that stood alone and passed this cycle. I guess I'm a nut.

Bob: I don't know what happened to Dan. Granted, most of his proposals were lame, but some of them actually made sense. I agree, going from 1,000 to zero is pretty strange, I was wondering if he met with an accident or something. Very strange indeed.
    Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City
    Inspector, Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    I have reading thru the proposals for the 2014 NEC and it sure looks like "James F. Williams, Fairmont, WV"
    has the most proposals. He wanted to add the abbreviations for all the different wiring methods thruout the NEC, such as EMT, RMC. For what I can see they were all rejected.
    That is me.

For one class of comments -- Abbreviations
    Rejection was different depending on the CMP.

The rationale is that I would be able to find all the rules pertaining, say, to PVC using a simple search. It turns out I can't search for just PVC or "rigid non-metallic conduit" or "conduit" as each of those searches return false positives and/or false negatives.

My approach was to make the document more usable by making it easier to search. I am a believer in using the same name for the same thing and different names for different things.

Another class of comment was to place the definition of the same term used in multiple articles in article 100. It is my understanding that that is the purpose of article 100. Some terms are defined only in article xxx but used in articles xxx, yyy, and zzz. Once again a usability issue.

Another class of comments is safety related. Example: New labeling and disconnect requirements for control systems that contain UPSes and provide lethal voltages outside the control cabinet even when ALL disconnects feeding the cabinet are opened.

There are more. I'm about to start reviewing the ROPs.

I'll probably be asking for support for some comments on the ROP

Thanks,

/s/ Jim Williams

Jim I thought your proposals made sense on the abbreviations, esp as the abbreviations are used in the article titles. Its almost like the CMPs ganged up on you.
    As far as Dan Leaf, from what I have heard, no one knows who he really was. Some said he was an instructor who had his students send in proposals under his name.
    Ancora Imparo

Quote Originally Posted by George Stolz View Post
    Well, maybe he was rejected almost as much as I am. I don't think I had one that stood alone and passed this cycle. I guess I'm a nut.
    I think we should start calling you "bed spread" because you've been turned down so many times!
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!