Old Style Square D Lighting contactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
This is driving me up a wall!!! :sick:

I have an old style Square D Class 8903 type LL0 6 pole mechanically held contactor on my desk. How do I get it to change states? Does anyone have a manual or an exploded parts diagram for this thing? Or does anyone know how to open it? Close it? I know it is capable, but I can't see it on the surface. Next I will tear the entire thing apart until I can figure it out, but I am guessing someone here already knows. Here are a couple pictures of it 2018-11-16 10.42.38.jpg 2018-11-16 10.47.51.jpg

MAC702

I'm not following how you don't already know if it is NO or NC, but I'm assuming it is NO.

I'm assuming voltage on the two gold screws around the center logo closes it.

I found better pictures on one for sale on eBay just by Googling your model number. Then I was able to read the label, too. I saw another one with another label showing 277V for the coil voltage, but I can't confirm if it was the identical one to yours.

This one has another label with a schematic of some kind, but it's not in focus: https://picclick.com/Square-D-Lighting-Contactor-Class-8903-Type-LL0-323544861304.html

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The two gold colored terminals are the Latch and Unlatch inputs. The other side of those two coils are going to be either of the two terminals that have the white wires attached, they go through two of the contacts on the relay that are called "clearing contacts" so that if you hold the push button or switch closed for the Latch or Unlatch circuit for too long, you don't burn up the coil.

You can see the basic circuit in the Sq. D wiring diagram book for the new versions, but I don't think it has changed over the years.
Page 80:
http://download.schneider-electric....File_Name=0140CT9201.pdf&p_Doc_Ref=0140CT9201

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
My, mistake, I meant to ask how to manually change states on the contactor. I know there is a way. To Open it when closed and close it when open, without applying electricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.