What color now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Village maintenance called and asked if I could come answer a question about their lift station. EC that won the bid for a standby generator was wondering what the control transformer was beng used for because they were only getting 68 volts when the generator was running. It took me longer than it should have but after a few more checks I asked them “When did you guys mark your wires? Before or after you pulled them?” You could see the lights come on as one of them started to realize they had taken the midpoint of the 208 3ph generator to one of the phase positions on tha ATS and bonded the phase to the enclosure.

Now my question. The POCO service to this lift station is 3 phase Hi Leg 240v Delta. ECs genset is 208/120 3 phase. When I first looked at the incoming lines they had brought into the controller I noticed their black, red, blue markings which is fine for their gen, but not so good when on utility with a high leg. How do they fix that?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'd be curious to know as well.

Never tried different system and gen voltages before. Don't think I want to start either....:D

norcal

Can the gen be reconnected for other voltages, or is it too low end? Reminds me of a story I told about installing a gen in a 911 call center, building was 208Y/120V, gen was 480Y/277V, engineer, foreman, never looked at the data plate & it did not go well. A oh Schiff moment

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Can the gen be reconnected for other voltages, or is it too low end? Reminds me of a story I told about installing a gen in a 911 call center, building was 208Y/120V, gen was 480Y/277V, engineer, foreman, never looked at the data plate & it did not go well. A oh Schiff moment

IDK if it can. Figured helping them with their OS moment was enough. I had suggested the unit should have been an equal when I first started looking.

I wonder what the local SED inspector will say about the voltage mismatch. The current draw was checked at both voltages and FWIU, the current level at FL is very similar. Good because tripping overloads seemed to have prevented small problems from becoming major ones in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.